My options for my new Helix

• MNdrifter

Read a recent thread that Cabelas had marked down the helix 7 Chirp MSI G3N’s to 549. I thought that was a good price so I bought one. I want to convert it to an all season package. The boat stuff is all included. Should I wait to buy an ice shuttle when they become available or build my own? Was thinking of putting it on vexilar Genze box or pro shuttle with a lithium battery. I have a G1 helix 7 SI already, for the time being can I use that boat transducer with the cable tie trick until ice transducers become available? I would really like to use it on the ice this year if possible!!!
    Thanks for your ideas, Drifter.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

there is a thread on here about the Helix shuttles. when i built mine 3 years ago, i wanted a clean factory like shuttle without the factory price. i wanted to customize it to how i fish so i settled for a vex ultra pack II. slapped the ducer arm and custom fitted my ducer to the arm, added the glow ring which is pretty sweet. got a lithium to power it for days supposedly? i also built a arm on top to hold my aqua vu micro when i feel i need to drop that down the hole. so many options to customize these Helix units just depends deep you want to go. those genz boxes are pretty basic and the marcum shuttles are spendy but have the bells and whistles….choice is yours.
    here is mine

Attachments:
    1. 20211214_172314-scaled.jpg

eyeguy507
    SE MN

i was told the open water ducer will not work since the shuttle is not moving. i see that the Ix9 or whatever ice ducer is tough to come by these days. if you can’t get a hold of one, you could try your cable tie trick? let me know if it works!

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

Like eyeguy said, skies the limit when it comes to shuttle options. I would think a Genz box would work just fine. Find a deal on a lithium 10ah battery and you’re good to go. You could use the transducer that came with the unit, but I assume that is the larger SI ducer and would be a bit of a pain to use. I believe you would need the XI 9 1521 ice ducer (double check with HB), which like most things is hard to come by now. Order one and use the open water ducer until the ice ducer comes available.

404 ERROR
    MN

I have a Helix 5 on a Genx box, works great.

MNdrifter

Forgot I had this guy laying around. Works good. I don’t even have to buy a new gimbal! Pays to be a hoarder sometimes. Now for like $200 I’m in business once those transducers become available and I get a good lithium battery. For another 50 spot I can be styling and profiling with a humminbird carrying case!

Attachments:
    1. A68813A1-A585-41AF-B925-4EA8EB103BE0-scaled.jpeg

2. 18049BA7-346E-424B-A853-C8164AB0D453-scaled.jpeg

eyeguy507
    SE MN

looks good and you didnt pay for it! i have heard those cases are tight unless they fixed that issue? i use the silicone cover to protect mine and it works for me

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.