My First Homemade Pie

• Sharon
    SE Metro

My first time making pie and it’s a sucess! I used apples from my tree and for the crust I made it from scratch using my great-grandma’s Bidivica crust recipe, just like Billy did when he made pies. 😋🍎🥧❤ I made a mess in the kitchen (working with room temp lard is messy!) but it was worth it and I know Billy is smiling down on me today.

Homemade Apple Pie

Crust (makes one crust so if you want one for the bottom and one for the top mix two separate bowls of the crust ingredients)
    1 cup flour
    1 ½ tsp baking powder
    ½ tsp salt
    2 tbsp sugar
    1/3 cup lard
    1/3 cup milk

Filling
    8-9 small/medium tart apples – peeled, cored, and sliced
    ½ cup sugar
    2 tsp ground cinnamon
    2 tbsp flour
    3 tbsp butter

Directions
    ~ Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
    ~ Mix the crust ingredients and set aside.
    ~ Place sliced apples in a large bowl. In a small bowl combine sugar, cinnamon, and flour. Stir well and pour mixture over apples. Cut half of butter into small pieces and add to apples. Toss apples until thoroughly coated.
    ~ Pour apples into pastry-lined pie pan. Dot apples with the rest of butter or margarine. Place second pastry on top. Seal edges and cut steam vents in top crust.
    ~ Bake in preheated oven for 45 to 50 minutes, until crust is golden brown.

*If using frozen apples, cut up frozen (do not thaw before hand)
    *Use refrigerated butter, not room temperature.

Attachments:
    1. 1597607608281.jpg

2. 1597607604724.jpg

3. 1597607601684.jpg

4. 1597607598538.jpg

5. 1597607595002.jpg

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

One of my favorites Sharon!

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Well darn, you’re getting pretty handy in the kitchen. Sure looks good and I swear I can smell apple pie looking at the pics.

Pailofperch
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

Wow! Looks delicious. applause You’ve now ruined my supper. Maybe a lil caramel drizzle and a spritz of redi whip……

Curious, do you wash down a slice of apple pie, with a glass of…..apple pie?
    toast

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Sharon, do ya need an ole~man to come up there and help with some handi chores and repairs? Hint hint ;<)

Denny O
    Central IOWA

*Use refrigerated butter, not room temperature.

Same with the lard, not hard but not overly pliable either?

Sharon
    SE Metro

Thanks guys! I’m really happy the way it turned out!

Curious, do you wash down a slice of apple pie, with a glass of…..apple pie?

Oooh that might be a fun idea! I’ll have to do that tomorrow evening.

Denny, we usually keep the lard in the fridge, so I’m guessing Billy would have usually used refrigerated lard then. But I was out of lard and bought some from Cub today, so it was room temp. It was fine to use it room temp, but the measuring cup and spatula was a pain to wash! Lard is very… lardy and water does nothing to it LOL! Glad I have a dishwasher. 👍🏻

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Sharon, I do understand about the pia, using lard! Mine is using cold butter cut in so I will try yours, tkx!

ps are you sure you don’t need any fixx’ing up ppers, help? LOL, that pie is look ‘in yummie!

gary d
    cordova,il

A slice Apple pie and a chocolate shake. H’mmmmmmmm!!

Sharon
    SE Metro

are you sure you don’t need any fixx’ing up ppers, help? LOL, that pie is look ‘in yummie!

Thanks Denny! Luckily I’m surrounded by handymen where I live and I’m good at bribing them with baked goods. I’ve already had one guy offer to do my leaves again this Fall, and one will be cleaning out my gutters. I told them both just let me know what kind of cookies you want. Or sweetbread, cupcakes, or now that list can include pie! Looking back, I can see now why Billy was a bit on the heavy side… whistling

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

wow does that look fantastic.

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

Now drizzle a little caramel sauce over all of it.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

So Sharon….is it late enough to ask how a slice of fresh apple pie goes with a chaser of “apple pie”?

Been thinking about that all afternoon while driving back from the Cities. Almost hit up an orchard to see if any early apples were ready yet but picked sweet corn instead. While the corn in no way can stand up to apple pie, it sure was sweet at dinner time tonight.

Sharon
    SE Metro

So Sharon….is it late enough to ask how a slice of fresh apple pie goes with a chaser of “apple pie”?

It’s excellent! Might be too much sweet for some, but I’ve got an insatiable sweet tooth. 😋😋

Glad you found some sweet corn to go with supper! That sounds delicious.

Sharon
    SE Metro

So some of you may recall my apple tree produced tons and tons of apples this fall, so one of the things I did was prep bags of apple pie filling. I made a pie from one of my prepped frozen bags this weekend and it turned out great! It baked a little longer than the pies with fresh apples but not by much.

Attachments:
    1. 20201107_123031.jpg

eyeguy507
    SE MN

that looks delicious Sharon……when should I stop over?

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

and I know Billy is smiling down on me today.

Why would today be any different than any other day?
    Yesterday, Today, Tomorrow

shady5

I think there’s something cool about using apples from your own tree.

Pailofperch
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

When’s the next time I’m going past Sharon’s….. whistling

Attachments:
    1. 1604992160557.jpg

trophy19
    Maple Grove, MN

Looks delicious Sharon.

I have 2 grocery bags of apples I have to clean and freeze for pies or crisp.

Dehydrating rings with cinnamon is also a great way to use apples when you have a bumper crop. Great snack in the boat.

Pete

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.