My crossing to the NW Angle

• shefland
    Walker

Just returned from our annual LOW trip to the NW Angle. One day early due to horizontal snow and 30mph North winds yesteray. Crossing was way b better but not without a hiccup. This crossing is unique because you actually cross the border twice, US to Canada then back into the US. Crossing at Warroad for us is a main crossing, next crossing is dome remotely at a phone booth from the woods, “Jims Corner”,We wizzed thru at warroad, couple of minutes, little bit longer at the phone booth, upon return thou from the phone booth you call Canada to reenter, 35 minutes on hold, lat year it was a hour and a half. Then at Warroad reentering the US only a couple of minute. Next year think we will change locations on the Morson side of the lake where only one crossing is involved, and no gravel road. Fishing did not disappoint, walleyes, crappies, smallmouth, fish fry’s, just good fun. Beautiful sunrise in sunset country

Attachments:
    1. 024768FB-633E-43A9-9A5A-2E38E67BFC76-scaled.jpeg

shefland
    Walker

The sunrise pic

Attachments:
    1. 72C7C11B-8CB9-48C0-8A83-D9CC7A417126-scaled.jpeg

genegr
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Can you share some basic costs of your trip? Fuel, lodging, beer on the Canada side?

Thanks

Iowaboy1

Horizontal snow??? UGH! I am going up next weekend on the MN side. doah

404 ERROR
    MN

Crossing into the NWA is a PITA. However, some of the best father-son fishing trips for me have been on Flag Island and that makes the journey worth it. I miss those days…

Can’t wait to take my girls up there when they get older. Where did you stay up there?

shefland
    Walker

Many variables, we stay at Sportsman lodge on Oak Island 3 days all meals, and my tab about $550. We bring our own boats, and of course gas expense, buy your alcohol in the US only allowed one 1 jug or case of beer for the crossing. A great spot, have stayed at flag island and sunset lodge also very good all of them, just a Pita to get to

ThunderLund78

Love the Morson side of the lake with all the islands and bays. You will not be disappointed in that choice.

New Moon Lodge is a great island resort if you’re looking.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

We stayed at Sportsman’s Oak Island last year and went by boat. Was slick because it took all the Canada crossing issues out of the equation. However there is risk crossing big water and potential delays due to wind. Awesome area and great pics Shefland.

orve4

Honestly Have stayed on a private Island on the MOrson side. Crossed many times with little to no hassle. Had them search my boat a few times but nothing over ten minutes. Looking to take my boy next year to Canada.

B-man

We went a few weeks ago by water, launched at Long Point.

We beat both of our buddy boats who drove to Angle Inlet and did all of the customs and covid crap by almost two hours, and we had a 25 knot head wind with 3-4′ seas lol

It was a huge time saver, and we didn’t have to get the Grady full of dirt road grime

snelson223
    Austin MN

Well this year going to Morson they decided to tar and gravel that road. Even going slow and with rock tamers the boat got pretty beat up. Hopefully they don’t do that again for next year.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.