MX2025 With an Altitude

• socoeyechaser
    Colorado

First I want to thank contributors to this Skeeter forum. I have learned a lot of information from this site with minimal contribution on my part. I’m hoping I can provide some information to those who may be considering one of these boats as well as a 300 Yamaha Offshore motor in this region. This is a great motor! To the best of my knowledge, I have the first MX2025 here in Colorado, we don’t have a Skeeter dealer near us.

Cal at SBC is as great an individual and professional to talk with about Skeeter Boats and fishing as there is. Due to personal preferences on the boat and trailer, I chose a different package with a different dealer which was a great experience too. The value, knowledge and experience Cal and SBC offered about the MX series boats was outstanding. I only wish I were several hours closer. When I called Cal to let him know I chose a different package, Cal simply welcomed me to the Skeeter family and mentioned I could ask him anything going forward too. Thank you Cal!

James’ write-ups regarding props was extremely helpful, among several other posts as well along with many other contributors. Thank you!

Propeller selection is my primary point to this post.

I purchased my boat about a month ago and have run it twice now. The second time was to test props exclusively. However I did put the bow mount in the water in the chop and wind to see how the boat holds and tracks; it does both very well! This is as an awesome boat as discussed! Stability of this boat is outstanding. I fish 90% of the time for walleye and 10% of the time for macs, mostly pitching, occasionally trolling, so this boat is perfect! No doubt I will be happy!

By no means am I an expert regarding props and mechanics, I’m just an accountant with a fishing problem. As anticipated, there is quite a bit of difference elevation made with this boat and motor combination. Most of my fishing is done at elevations of 4,800 feet to around 8,000 feet.

All of my testing was done at 4,800 feet as our lakes at 8,000 feet are still frozen. Bear in mind, I ran full heavy load to see what the results would be; 51 gallons of fuel, kicker, 3 adults, full livewells and 4 batteries-I’ll try lighter load this summer to see what happens. All speeds are GPS. This 300 Offshore came with a Yamaha Saltwater II 19 pitch (3 blade). I know at lower elevations, this is a great running prop based on previous posts by James. However, at this elevation the hole shot was slow until the motor’s timing kicked in at 3700 RPM, then it exploded on plane. Top speed was 53 and 5700 RPMs was the best I could do; conditions were calm. I could maintain being on plane at 16 MPH, which is good when it’s rough. I did keep this prop as I do fish the Dakotas, WY and NE; this prop will serve me well at lower elevations.

I spoke with my local Yamaha dealer who will be taking care of all maintenance work who suggested trying Merc vented props to help with the hole shot. For these tests, I had two of us in the boat. I tried a 19 pitch Mirage Plus (3 blade) as well as a 19 pitch Trophy Plus (4 blade). The Mirage Plus is a prop I owned from a different boat. Completely plugged, results of the hole shot were similar to the Salt Water II. Top end was slower at 51, but I could hit 5900 RPMs. Conditions were windy and rough on the main lake but the bays were calm enough to open the boat up. The Mirage Plus was okay in the open lake and rough water. I then put the large hole vent plugs in and the hole shot was quite a bit better, still not great though.

I then ran the Trophy Plus 19 pitch with medium vent plugs in the vents. Hole shot with this set up was explosive. I’ve never been on plane as fast as this in any boat I’ve been in. The boat shot out directly on plane with zero hesitation. Needless to say the timing in the motor with this prop was fantastic. I was able to run at 16 MPH on plane in the rough stuff and boat felt perfect. At the top end, I hit 6000 RPMs and 53+ MPH (flashed 53.7 a couple times), fully trimmed. The cornering and bow lift was excellent. My friend riding in the boat said it was “sticky” and he could tell the difference in how the boat felt as a passenger. There isn’t much doubt in my mind this prop will work well at higher elevations too, just a drop in top end speed and RPMs. Not too surprising conclusions with a 4 blade prop. I traded my Mirage Plus and cash for this prop.

Additionally, I did run the Solas F4 (may be referred to as a Lexor too I think). This is a 4 blade prop which was good minus about 1 MPH and 100 RPMs at the top end when compared with the Trophy Plus. Hole shot was not as good either because it is ventless. I ranked this prop as #2. If someone is looking to spend less money, this is a good option as the price was around $150 less than the Trophy Plus.

I further consulted with our local prop expert and asked about the 19 pitch Tempest and 20 pitch Bravo I (lowest pitch available) and his conclusion was we likely would not see a lot of difference between what we tested and what these props provide. We didn’t think we could hit 6000 RPMs with the 20 pitch Bravo I.

I may be able to gain more top end with a different combination but I’m rarely at the top end in my boat anyway. Most of my time is in chop and taking off from spot to spot. Therefore, hole shot and control are my most important factors. The Trophy Plus accomplished my goals.

I’d be curious to know if anyone at lower elevations has experimented with Merc props and these combinations, maybe 21 and 22 pitch props, and know their results. Has anyone tried these?

I’ll post as I spend more time on this boat and share what I learn as I spend more time on the water.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

This is fantastic info for someone running an MX 2025 at similar altitudes. Thanks for sharing. The knowledge base on these boats just keeps growing. waytogo

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Dan…..Thanks for the kind words. I learned a lot from your post in higher elevations in regards to props.

Lets see some pics of the new rig!!!

Once again welcome to the Skeeter family

socoeyechaser
    Colorado

Well, I talked with Propmann in Brainerd and decided to try out a 20 pitch Bravo I FS, so my guy here in Denver was correct. Great prop, it handles very well and comes out of the hole very well. Just not much improvement at top end over the Trophy Plus at the altitude. I was able to touch 54 and 5,800 rpms, but that was with the wind and slight chop. We are losing approximately 3% for every 1,000 feet of elevation increase. I’ll be staying with the Trophy Plus 19.

mann4ducks

thanks for the post Cal at SBC suggested that I look for your post here. I too just bought a MX 2025 with a 300 and live in CO on the western slope and am hoping to talk to you further on how you have yours rigged for the higher altitudes. I have just ordered a Bravo 1 fs 20, not to arrive until late Aug., noticing that you had the same results with the Trophy 19 as the Bravo, is that still the case. I will be running at Lake Powell, UT a lot of the time , wondering if you had a chance to R&R the boat there yet. any comments helpfully ‘
    thanks
    email any comments

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Welcome to IDO David…..

socoeyechaser
    Colorado

David, congratulations on your purchase. Welcome to the Skeeter family as well as IDO. To my knowledge, you have MX2025 #2 in the state, I still haven’t seen another. I sent you a PM will all my personal contact information. It will be much easier to talk on the phone and I’m happy to let you know what I’ve learned. How are the walleye doing in Powell? I’ve heard there’s more than ever in there right now.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.