Multiple Transducer Mounting Question

• Wayne Bouler

I recently purchase a boat with a Helix 5 Transducer Mounted to the right side of the outboard motor on the transom. I plan on keeping the Helix 5 since it is mounted in the dash. I want to add my Helix 10 MDI/MSI transducer, but I’m not sure where to install it for fear that mounting the two transducers next to each other will cause interference. I could mount it to the left of the outboard, but this would go against Humminbird’s recommendation due to prop wash/turbulence. I only use the Helix 10 to find fish at slow speeds of less than 7 mph or so. What do y’all think about mounting the transducer on the left side of the outboard? Has anyone done this and what was the result?

robby
    Quad Cities

Not sure if this is the same situation or not, but I have a Lowrance flasher and a Garmin Echomap on my console. The Flasher transducer is a shoot through the hull and is mounted mounted on the inside of hull near the transome, just to the starbird side of the motor. The Garmin DI/SI transducer is mounted on my jack plate on the starbird side. Both units work fine at that same time. Hope this helps.

Ron
    Victoria, mn

In my opinion, the prop wash turbulence issue is overblown. Prop wash occurs behind the prop, doesn’t it? Your transducer is far ahead of the prop. What matters is turbulence coming off the transom. I have a 50hp tiller Alumacraft 165 with a Bird SI ducer on the left side of the transom, a Bird 2d ducer on the right and another Bird SI ducer on the right. Admittedly it’s a 50 hp with top speeed of 29 mph, but I’ve been able to adjust ducer locations and angles to read at top speed. You might not get good SI views at speed, but if you’re studying your SI screen at top speed you’re likely to have a collision with something. )

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

What is your Helix 5 if it is not Mega you MAY not have an issue with signal interference.

Using different electronics from different manufactures very seldom if ever has a problem with interference on the new units, they all seem to use different KHZ. The older standard units running 220 50 KHZ would get some interference in deeper water

reddog

Agree Ron, prop turbulence has more to do with tunnel drives and inboard than with outboards.

In my opinion, the prop wash turbulence issue is overblown. Prop wash occurs behind the prop, doesn’t it? Your transducer is far ahead of the prop. What matters is turbulence coming off the transom. I have a 50hp tiller Alumacraft 165 with a Bird SI ducer on the left side of the transom, a Bird 2d ducer on the right and another Bird SI ducer on the right. Admittedly it’s a 50 hp with top speeed of 29 mph, but I’ve been able to adjust ducer locations and angles to read at top speed. You might not get good SI views at speed, but if you’re studying your SI screen at top speed you’re likely to have a collision with something. )

Sylvanboat

Jason Halfen runs Technological Angler website. He is a HB field tester and very knowledgeable. I attended his Helix seminar near Green Bay last month and this was discussed. He offered his assistance on any HB matter. Google him for his contact info. I am sure he could help you. Good luck.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.