Muck Boots

• Jeffrey Trapp
    Milbank, SD

So I’m heading out on a hog hunting trip in a week and a half. It appears to be wet down in OK so I want some comfortable dry boots I can slip on and off and be able to walk a fair amount in. Some guys wear mucks and really like them. What models should I look at? Are there any others I should consider? I will only be using them for decent weathere so I will not need the warm models. Thanks for your input!

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

I have had great luck with the Muck woody Max. Great sole and comfort for all day walking/hunting. I would stay away from the field blazer model. I had a pair and the sole was weak, not much traction and they wore out pretty quick in the sole.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

I have had great luck with the Muck woody Max. Great sole and comfort for all day walking/hunting. I would stay away from the field blazer model. I had a pair and the sole was weak, not much traction and they wore out pretty quick in the sole.

X2. I got the woody max for hunting in SE Nebraska. Been great on rough terrain and shallow river crossings.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

I’ve got field blazers and chores. The chores are low top which aren’t as warm so they are nice on hot days and dry fields.

Charlie W
    TRF / Pool 3 / Grand Rapids, MN / SJU

Can only give advice on warm mucks.
    I do use a pair of red wing rubber boots for pheasants and grouse when it is wet out. I believe they are the rutmasters? I can walk all day in them and never have any problems. Sometimes you can find them rather cheap too.

mnrabbit
    South Central Minnesota

I have chores, but they aren’t a low top on mine. I use them almost year round, doing chores around the house in the summer while wearing shorts. Pheasant hunting in the fall. Wear a pair of warmer socks on colder days. I have Muck Arctic Pros that I wear most of the winter months.

I can’t comment on the woody max or field blazers, but the Chores would certainly work just fine for what you need.

bigpike

Whatever your buying get them soon so you can have a little break in time before your in the field

klang

I have a pair of the field blazers and love them, traction wise they are good until the ground freezes and gets icy.
    I think they would fit your need, They are very light, walk all day in them w/out having your socks work down.

tmyboy2001
    Lakeville, MN

Do you guys wear socks with the chores during the summer/warm months? Do they get soaked?

mnrabbit
    South Central Minnesota

Do you guys wear socks with the chores during the summer/warm months? Do they get soaked?

Socks as opposed to no socks at all in the boots? Socks are a must… No socks and the insoles always come out, feet probably sweat more. Wear a pair of dri-fit socks that soak up moisture a bit and you won’t have any problem. I have a pretty large vegetable garden at home and my Muck Chores have become my go to in the garden all summer. My go to all fall while pheasant hunting.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

The Pursuit Fieldrunner is the best pull-on boot I’ve ever owned. Great fit and good footbed comfort, but still lightweight. Best all-purpose cool/moderate cold weather boot I’ve ever owned, I wear them for everything except very cold weather, ice fishing, etc from October to May.

But… Buy the fit, not the boot. Doesn’t matter how anyone likes anything, only matters how it fits you. I was a LaCrosse guy before because I loved thier old “contour ankle” fit that didn’t pull off in the mud, so I only bought the mucks because of fit. No fit, no buy.

Grouse

jake47
    WI

I have tall Muck hunting boots (not sure of the model) and the tall Muck chore boots for general use. The sole is wider on the chore boots and much more comfortable to wear when on my feet. I wear them year-round to keep ticks at bay as well.

grizzly
    nebraska

take a boot drier with you or your boots never dry inside, I wear mucks alot and always still wet in the morning if don’t use the drier

snelson223
    Austin MN

I would go and get boots now so you can try them before you go. I have Mucks and I am not a fan. I like the Irish setter rutmasters but they don’t seem to hold up very long. Trying a pair of Lacross now and so far they have been good.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

take a boot drier with you or your boots never dry inside, I wear mucks alot and always still wet in the morning if don’t use the drier

Boot drier is a must, no matter what boots you select.

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>grizzly wrote:</div>

Boot drier is a must, no matter what boots you select.

I’ll second that, especially with Mucks because they’re tight on the calf and don’t breathe. They’ll get ripe otherwise.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

So what type of hog hunting are you doing? My limited hog experience was pretty much driving up to a stand and sitting. Still good boots where nice as the pigs liked to hang out in the water pit under the feeder.

Jeffrey Trapp
    Milbank, SD

A friend of a friend knows a ranch manager. There has been a group going for 15 or so years. We have a 30,000 acre ranch that we get free range on. We walk the thick tree groves and river bottoms during the day. We sit in the mornings and evenings but without feeders they are hard to pattern. Its basically sit up high and see them come out and try to circle around them to get a shot. It’s a blast.

CaptainMusky

THIS! Also, if you have the Peet boot drier with the tall tubes, make sure you fold down the boots when you put them on there. It will melt the boot drier otherwise. Speaking from experience. Who reads directions. LOL

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

A friend of a friend knows a ranch manager. There has been a group going for 15 or so years. We have a 30,000 acre ranch that we get free range on. We walk the thick tree groves and river bottoms during the day. We sit in the mornings and evenings but without feeders they are hard to pattern. Its basically sit up high and see them come out and try to circle around them to get a shot. It’s a blast.

Sounds like fun. Do you get to night hunt them at all. Shot both mine after dark.

Jeffrey Trapp
    Milbank, SD

There are a few ranch hands that have dogs they will run at night that a few guys have went on but most of our hunting is during the daylight hours.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.