Mounting new MSI+ Ducer on rebel. Would this location be ok?

• Jared

So I just upgraded from a helix 7 CHIRP G3 to a Helix 8 MSI+ G4N. After pulling out the new transducer and seeing how absolutely massive it is I noticed my safety ladder is now going to be in the way unless I mount the Ducer to the right a bit (circled in red). I’m wondering if this will still be an adequate location for it to be mounted?

Also next question, should I have left my 2D Ducer from the helix 7 model installed and just gotten a y splitter and ran both? I’m just now learning the MSI+ Ducer doesn’t read bottom well at high speed in 2D mode? I’d love to run only one but I also like to see depth when moving at speeds over 10mph.

Thanks guys

Attachments:
    1. 20230223_085055-2-scaled.jpg

2. 20230223_085055-1-scaled.jpg

3. 20230223_085055-scaled.jpg

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Side to side = yes good place, under side of the boat I’d look out for chine ribs and rivet lines.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Yep good spot, do the quarter level test.

Jared

Yep good spot, do the quarter level test.

Sounds good. And will it be necessary to re install the 2D sonar if I just want to pick up depth while moving at speed or will the MSI ducer be able to do that? I’m getting mixed reports everywhere I look.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Or even to the right a bit more to get in between the 2 lines of rivets, almost on top of the boards mounting screw. Make sure your mounting screws are stainless and will not penetrate the boats transom.

slowpoke
    Perham Mn

Sounds good. And will it be necessary to re install the 2D sonar if I just want to pick up depth while moving at speed or will the MSI ducer be able to do that? I’m getting mixed reports everywhere I look.

You will need the 2d ducer also. Make sure it is mounted HIGHER (to the right) of the SI ducer or it will interfere with side imaging. The bottom of the 2d must be higher than the top of the SI.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.