Mounting Downrigger on sportTrac – ProV 189 GL

• Marco Pelton

I have a 2017 ProV GL and I’m kicking around the idea of downriggers (manual Cannons) for the sake of trying salmon fishing and deep walleye cranking on Lake Sakakawea. After doing some looking around on forums, I’m seeing some topics talking about how sport Tracs aren’t robust enough for DRiggers – naturally all of these post seem to be 5-7 years old.

I see Lund and other companies make a bracket for DRiggers; so can I assume it’s a strong enough system??

Anyone running one of these newer brackets?

Thoughts??

Thanks, and have a great week of the 4th everyone!!

pete the catfisherman
    Crawford county WI

Just got the cisco sporttrac mounts for my cannons a few days ago. Haven’t used them yet but they seem solid.

John Ratke

I just got a lund crossover 1875 and i was going to mount those brackets that run on the rail only but only rated for a 24 inch boom and only a 10 lb. ball and at $80 each up hear in Edmonton Alberta I said no thanks . The tec. and lund says he normally just mounts the down rigger on the gunnel but first he glues some wood under the gunnel . So thats what I did glued a piece of 3/4 inch plywood about 15 inches long and 6.6 inches wide on the under side with PL premium which is 3 times stronger than PL200 I used a pair of clamps untill it tried . On the top side used used a piece of composite decking. Did not run it length wise with the boat but the other way . as it is only 5.5 inches wide and i wanted it to the edge of the gunnel . I did not glue this one down. I just bolted it down with the four bolts with the down rigger mount ..I fished all day July 12 with a 15 lb ball on Cold Lake . Nothing flexed.

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

Mounted 4 downriggers on my buddy’s 17′ Pro Sport about a month ago. Like John, I used plywood backer under the gunnel. The base was mounted with the 4 – 1/4″ SS bolts and fender washers. Very solid!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.