Most sensitive leadcore rod?

• Scott Salber

Hello,

I know this has been touched on a bit before but I’ll try to be specific. I have a Shimano Talora leadcore rod that I feel I need to upgrade. This rod is super thick even though it’s only considered a medium power and imo has terrible tip sensitivity. I cannot tell if my lures are fouled with weeds or not it gives me no feedback.

I’m looking for a rod that has a nice sensitive tip to be able to read if the lure is fouled or not. I’ll be willing to spend more money ($100+) if it means more sensitivity. I’m also only going to have just one rod for now. Because I’ll only be using one rod what length would be best something short, long or in the middle?

I’ve been looking at:
    1.) St.Croix Eyecon Walleye trolling rods
    2.) Limit Creek trolling rods
    3.) Scheels Outfitters Xtreme trolling rods
    4.) Jason Mitchell trolling rods

Those are just the rods I’ve heard good things about I’m sure there are others. Any input or opinion on which you like best would be great.

Thanks

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I run an sf403-10 for outside rods and Dm-lc-50 for inside rods.

One is eagle claw 10′
    Other is Cabela’s depthmaster 5′.
    I’ve also ran limit Creek shorties but prefer the Cabela’s. I absolutely hate the action on all the other depthmaster rod lengths.

Both cheap rods. Both have landed fish up to 50# and hundreds upon hundreds of walleyes at all speeds.
    1.0-5mph

With braid leader I can see lure vibrating, lures with some action anyway.
    Switch to mono and most that goes away. I lot of your visibility comes from the lure and leader.

You’ll get plenty of replies to make your head spin.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I should add, when I have a huge lipped bait running at speeds 3+ I could be running a lot more backbone. Not only does the lure pull allot, but the line pulls more with every foot in the water. Higher speeds require more line… But I’m not about to have 8 rods dedicated to lead when 4 works. Even though the 4 I own are more suited to <3mph

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

I’ve been impressed with Scheels trolling rods. 10′. Mine are several years old, I think they still make them.

Karry Kyllo

I’ve been impressed with Scheels trolling rods. 10′. Mine are several years old, I think they still make them.

I have a couple of 10′ Scheels trolling rods that I use for leadcore also and I like them too. I have a couple of 10′ Jason Mitchell rods that I use for leadcore as well and like them equally as much.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Maybe someone else can find the thread but it seems the majority including Mr.Holst feels super sensitivity isn’t all that imperative for trolling, or “expensive” rods. Even average rods do good enough jobs.

That was a good informational thread

Christian Slick

JT customs makes a new 8’ trolling rod for $220 now designed for this it sounds like.

“For years elite caliber anglers have asked for a high end trolling rod design to better read the action of a trolling presentation while enjoying the qualities of a rod engineered for absolute precision. Now that piece of grass on the back hook can be detected to ensure your running clean and effectively.”

tomr
    cottage grove, mn

I figured lead core didn’t need much and bought a couple of ugly sticks. Work good and have caught a lot of fish. What I don’t like and maybe nothing that can be done is even on big fish a few head shakes and the fight is pretty much over, Seems they can’t fight that lead. The ugly sticks seem to translate what’s going on good enough, would be interested in investing in a better rod if it improve the fish’s ability to fight.

Karry Kyllo

JT customs makes a new 8’ trolling rod for $220 now designed for this it sounds like.

“For years elite caliber anglers have asked for a high end trolling rod design to better read the action of a trolling presentation while enjoying the qualities of a rod engineered for absolute precision. Now that piece of grass on the back hook can be detected to ensure your running clean and effectively.”

You’re honestly claiming that it’s possible to detect a piece of grass on the rear hook of a crank with these rods while trolling leadcore?

Scott Salber

I figured lead core didn’t need much and bought a couple of ugly sticks. Work good and have caught a lot of fish. What I don’t like and maybe nothing that can be done is even on big fish a few head shakes and the fight is pretty much over, Seems they can’t fight that lead. The ugly sticks seem to translate what’s going on good enough, would be interested in investing in a better rod if it improve the fish’s ability to fight.

This is also the problem with my Shimano Talora it’s waaay to thick a rod for any walleye to put up any kinda fight which I hate. The rod is rated a medium power but it’s more the size of an extra heavy. I would like to find a true medium or medium heavy rod so I can actually have fun catching the fish while also knowing what’s going on with the lure. Trolling rod power ratings are on a whole other scale vs casting & spinning rods. This is exactly why I refuse to use trolling rods for my braid & fluorocarbon setups when I’m trolling for bass or whatever else. In fact I’m actually considering just using a regular casting rod with a smaller non line counter reel for leadcore.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Scott which talora model do you have? I’ve used one in a buds boat and thing was ridiculously sensitive. Like a piece of weed on a small husky jerk trolling the Croix in 20-25′ deep sensitive way.

Fishblood comment on his shorty depthmaster blows me away. I also have that model and thing is a freaking broomstick, sure it catches fish but sensitivity wise it sux ars.

To each his own.

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

9’6” Mr. Walleye rod

mnfishhunt
    Brooklyn Park, MN

Scott which talora model do you have? I’ve used one in a buds boat and thing was ridiculously sensitive. Like a piece of weed on a small husky jerk trolling the Croix in 20-25′ deep sensitive way.

I like my talora, but I really want another 10′ Jason Mitchel rod, I can somewhat read the rod with 4 colors and a #5 flicker shad, but with a little pull you can feel it running

Remember Leadcore is heavy and it deadens a lot of things, if you are looking for the fight of a fish, start downrigging, no extra weight on the line, just you and the fish

Christian Slick

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Christian Slick wrote:</div>

You’re honestly claiming that it’s possible to detect a piece of grass on the rear hook of a crank with these rods while trolling leadcore?

Relax, I never said I used one. Noticed a quality rod company putting out a high quality trolling rod and assuming it would fit the bill.

Scott Salber

Fishblood comment on his shorty depthmaster blows me away. I also have that model and thing is a freaking broomstick, sure it catches fish but sensitivity wise it sux ars.

To each his own.

It’s a broomstick lol!

I have the leadcore version Talora I believe it’s 7’ possibly 8’ med power. Talk about a broomstick the thing has no sensitivity whatsoever and is as thick as a shark rod haha!

catmando
    wis

9’6” Mr. <em class=”ido-tag-em”>Walleye rod

Ditto on the Mr walleye telescope.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Scott, you stated the use of lead core. I could notice a difference when a small piece of grass or moss fouls it up. At what length and witch rod was out?

I first think that it might matter how much lead core might be out in terms of yards affecting the weight, thus affecting the action?

I’m mostly in the habit of braid. I can detect a minor fouled plug as small as a #3 or #4 Berkeley flicker shad running some of the smaller braids that are under 20 lb test with 8ft graphite rods all the way through the #14’s Husky Jerks and Bandits with 20 some pound test on 12ft to 16ft graphite or fiberglass rods.

A person can tell if they pay real close attention to the rod tips but it gets harder to know the difference when there is more line out, the use of lead core, a less sensitive rod and a less experienced pair of eyes watching the over all action of the setup.

Scott Salber

I think even with only 100 feet out I lose all contact with the lure. I only run one leadcore rod. If I’m not going to get a significant boost in sensitivity and a rod that isn’t a pool stick with these other rods mentioned then I’m going to a casting rod for better sensitivity and fight of the fish.

Everyone seems to mention getting a longer 9’6”- 10’ rod instead of something shorter like a 7’6”- 8’6” is there any reason for this? I’m only going to be running one leadcore setup so a longer rod isn’t necessary is it?

This is straight from Limit Creeks website when talking about they’re 8’6” trolling rod. “This rod was designed to feel the lures vibration with 250 feet of leadline out!” That’s what they claim with that rod does anyone else have one to confirm this is true?

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

It has a fast taper with great backbone.

I have no struggles putting fish in the boat.

404 ERROR
    MN

I like my Okuma GLT leadcore rods, they work good for the price. Like others, I don’t pander to the high end trolling rod debate.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Everyone seems to mention getting a longer 9’6”- 10’ rod instead of something shorter like a 7’6”- 8’6” is there any reason for this? I’m only going to be running one leadcore setup so a longer rod isn’t necessary is it?

Rod spacing is most the reason. I’ll run 4 pretty regularly.

I do appreciate my 10′ rods over my 5′ rods when running super fast as the longer rod absorbs the fish better than the shorter.

Sensitivity… The rod with the appropriate tip bend and vibration at 2mph is doubled over at 4mph.
    You cannot pick a single rod to operate as designed when the drag of the line varies so greatly.

My 10′ rods are suited for the slower speeds and are dogging it pretty good at high rates vs my shorties are a little stiff at 2 but are great 3+. Both rods work at all speeds but I won’t tell you they act the same at all speeds. Massive change in line drag and baits in combination with speed to say 1 rod is right.

Do you fish lakes?
    What speeds and baits do you primarily run?

I run rivers and prefer lipped baits… What is a sensitive rod for that application is not necessarily the right rod for stick baits at slow speeds.

To combat I run braid.
    Some run long mono leaders, 50′. I’ll bet they’re not dealing with floating debris on a regular basis and aren’t as impacted by fowling lures.

Many ways to skin a cat.
    Always an interesting discussion. Generally no wrong way about it.

Joel VandeKrol
    Ankeny, IA

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Karry Kyllo wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Christian Slick wrote:</div>

Relax, I never said I used one. Noticed a quality rod company putting out a high quality trolling rod and assuming it would fit the bill.

How many more posts until they put you on prostaff and make you a “small business owner” though?

Scott Salber

“Do you fish lakes?
    What speeds and baits do you primarily run?”

I fish Lake Ontario. Braided leader isn’t an option with the water being so clear. I fish anywhere from 1.5 to 2.5 mph according to my Lowrance and I use stickbaits and crankbaits only.

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

Also Scott, what depth are you fishing?

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

So is it safe to say there is almost no bend in your rod tip while trolling?

Can you feel or see the lure vibrate when you speed up or pull on the rod?

You don’t run Braid, how long a leader do you run?

Scott Salber

I would say that’s accurate there is very little bend in the rod with most of the lures I use. I can somewhat feel the lure vibrate when I pull on the rod but nowhere near some of my other rods and I have to pull on it pretty good. I’m running a 30 foot leader.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Leadcore definitely numbs the “feel”. There’s no way around that.

Maybe you should try some of your other trolling rods to see if one works better.

I’d recommend a lighter action rod than you currently have because it doesn’t sound like any of the fishing you do puts more than a little bend in the rod.

As mentioned, limiting the amount of stretch line will help.

Run bigger lipped baits when”dragging a weed” is common.

Bigger lipped baits can shake good and still be trailing a weed so frequent and aggressive rod rips can clean up a running lure fairly well. Also helps trigger bites. I do this with any lure.

Scott Salber

I don’t have any other trolling rods besides a Talora planner board rod but I have several casting rods. I’m thinking of using my St.Croix Eyecon casting rod that might be perfect for what I’m looking for. Maybe I could also go with a shorter leader I use fluorocarbon so it’s not as stretchy as mono. What would you recommend for my leader length? I know what you mean about being hard to tell if a high wobble lure has weeds on it. I deal with that on my other trolling setups and sweep the rod forward like you say.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I use fluorocarbon so it’s not as stretchy as mono.

They stretch the same, some may even prove it stretches more. However it is more dense so it does transfer vibrations better than mono. Google “2nd annual line stretch test”

What would you recommend for my leader length?

Start at 5′ and keep increasing until you start catching fish.

You can also run part braid part fluoro for a leader.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 49 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.