More restrictive walleye regulations for Upper Red Lake

• trytoofish
    sw Mn.

More restrictive walleye regulations for Upper Red Lake take effect Jan. 23

Beginning Friday, Jan. 23, walleye regulations will become more restrictive on Upper Red Lake because of a record December walleye harvest, according to the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources.
    The daily bag and possession limit will be two walleye, and anglers must immediately release all walleye
    17- to 26-inches long. Only one walleye in possession may be longer than 26 inches. The current regulation allowed three walleye in the daily bag and possession limit.
    Walleye fishing pressure and harvest continue to increase on Upper Red Lake despite more restrictive angling regulations that were implemented on Dec. 1, 2014.
    “Fishing pressure in December was more than double compared to last December,” said Gary Barnard, Bemidji area fisheries supervisor. “High walleye catch rates and ideal ice travel conditions attracted a record number of walleye anglers to Upper Red Lake this winter.”
    Walleye harvest is up 57 percent from estimates for a comparable time period last year, requiring some action to help curtail excessive winter harvest.
    Upper Red Lake harvest restrictions are necessary to comply with a joint walleye harvest plan agreement with the Red Lake Band of Chippewa. For more information on Red Lake fishing regulations, see http://www.mndnr.gov/regulations/fishing.
    -30-

cookie
    waskish minnesota on upper red lake

makes my job easier now I have to only put my customers on 2 keeper fish per fishermen

JD Winston
    Inactive
    Chanhassen, MN

Bad luck for Red Lake business I suspect. This does impact my decision whether to return here for a second trip this year or not. But who knows, maybe I’ll target some of those trophy pike instead.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.