Scud Tips

• d.a.
    Rochester, MN

After reading one of the posts about how some fish sucds and have little success, I thought I’d offer a few observations about tying. Standard curved nymph hooks like the TMC 2487 (or for a sturdier hook the TMC2457) is the place to start. Weight it with some lead wraps, use an orange tying thread, and the tail is optional. I have used rabbit fur, squirrel tail, and k. flash. I’m not sure that it matters. Tie in your copper ribbing wire, then about 6-8 strands of flashabou. Dub your scud: I like amber colored hare’s ear or UV Ice Dub (I’m starting to tie more with Ice Dub – great lookinng stuff). Twist the strand into a rope and pull forward as this imitates somewhat of a shellback and gives your fly some flash. Tie it down well and then rib your nymph with the wire. Tie it off and build up and build up a head, glue it, and you’re done. Three minutes start to finish once you have your bench set up to tie a few dozen.

Fishing wise, I can’t stress enough to get this fly down…I mean really down as scuds are near the bottom or on it their entire life cycle. I almost always fish a trailer with it. This time of year it’s a midge or a small PT. Later on it culd be an emerger (BWO or caddis for example)

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

hey Dave,

do you put the plastic shell casing on?? that’s the part i’m not doing, and i’m wondering if it makes a differnce

bigbirdtommy
    Stillwater MN

Thanks for the tips DA. I’ve been missing the weight to get em down… I’ll give it a go the next time I’m tying.

Waiting for the snow to stop and the spring to start….
    -Bigbirdtommy

d.a.
    Rochester, MN

When I first got into tying, I used a plastic shell back (cut them from plastic bags I bought various fly tying supplies from). I have eliminated that step altogether. I use 6-8 strnads of pearlescent flashabou and twist them nice and tight. I pull this over the dubbed body and tie down VERy securely – in fact, I do put a finishing knot in it to make it stay. Then I wrap the wire forward, tie off, and glue the head.

I think other than color, weight IS the key. That’s why I tie them with lead wraps already on teh shank, plus I add weight when I’m fishing.

Good luck tying,
    D.A.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.