Trout Article in Today’s Star Tribune

• Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

that’s an interesting article, pretty much the same thing we’ve been hearing, but interesting non the less. there were definatly a few different view points in there, but some of the arguments seem a little weak.

the part of the article i found most intriuging was this last statement…….” This is an opportunity to create a world-class large trout fishery “……do you guys think this is a realistic statement (goal), or just a bunch of B.S.??

when i think of a “world-class large trout fishery”, i think of places in idaho, colorado or montana…..places that have an average size trout of 16+ inches…..could this even be possible in the small streams of SE MN?

d.a.
    Rochester, MN

I think anything is possible. I look at the non-des. factor. There’s no question in my mind that the non des. streams could be world class, that is if we measure world class by numbers of large trout.

I think that results will vary greatly on whether or not all of the proposed streams can create “trophy” fish. If they could create more fish in that 12-16 inch class, I for one would be very happy!

I found Jeff Hanson’s comments interesting. He makes it sound like these regulations came directly from what he basically categorized as trout special interest groups. The funny thing is that this information was made public via a DNR press release. It’s their plan, TU and MTA just happen to endorse it. Anyone who thinks that this is strictly a TU/MTA “muscle” job on the DNR should read the angler surveys they have compiled for the past few years. There is a majority of support for creating more opportunites for catch and release angling and protective slot limits. There’s no doubt felings will be hurt and that people might be forced to change their methods of anlging (that point’s been reiterated on this site over and over); however, you just can’t please all of the people all of the time.

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

more fish between 12-16″ would be great. and with these types of regulations, that’s more than likely what will happen (hopefully). but would a lot of trout from 12-16″ be enough to be considered a “world class large trout fishery”? and would we have a legitimate chance at a 20+”er every time we hit one of these streams? would people start considering SE MN as a more attractive destination to trout fish than out west?

Montananglin
    MN and Montana

Jake,

In regards to your concern regarding a World Class Fishery for SE Minn Trout Streams. I appreciate your ranking of MT, WY, and ID. I grew up fishing the streams and rivers of SW Montana and still guide there to this day. I have been fortunate enough to fish from Canada to Honduras and California to New York. Often we read of the idyllic limetone streams of Central Pennsylvania and they are often touted as the place where fly fishing was ‘invented’ in the U.S. A few years back I was fortunate to spend a few weeks fishing throughout Pennsylvania, and New York and I have to tell you that the legendary ‘world class’ streams of Penn do not even come close to the resource we currently have here in Minn and also W Wis. With careful management these streams are only bound to get even better and Yes in my opinion become World Class. As for your esteem for MT, ID and WY keep in mind that those are totally different type of waters. As a guide it is in my opinion that an angler who has mastered fishing the waters of the midwest can go west and be a Super Star…between our highly educated fish and tight water requiring precise casting and stealth both sets of water are in their own league. Our water here cannot support the same level of harvesting pressure as rivers out west and as such require special care if they are to be preserved and allowed to flourish. I sympathize with the objections having grown up in the ’60’s filling up our cooler after a day of fishing on the Gallatin but those days much like the days of solitutde have waned into a different era and we all need to adjust and accept these changes if our streams are to continue to support trout.
    Remember each and every fish released is a gift you pass along to a fellow angler.
    Tight Lines!
    Kevin Biegler
    http://www.sourdoughcreek.com

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.