Happier Thoughts

• d.a.
    Rochester, MN

I thought I’d try to break the tension on the board amongst those with varying methods and intentions. Keep in mind that the winter season is full on with a list of streams that are open listed at On The Fly Guide Service or The Fly Guys Guide Service. Bottom line: there’s plenty of old and “new” water to take advantage of.

Some helpful tips if you give the winter season a shot is to fish in a slow, deliberate style and keep a low profile; there isn;t mcuh for natural cover in January, so you may find yourself successfully fishing from your knees or unsuccessfully fishing from an obvoius wide open position. Stay out of the water as much as possible to avoid spooking trout.

If you fly fish, stick to the basics: scuds, hare’s ears, and stone fly nymphs (Prince Nymphs) with a smaller trailer like midge larvae, brassies, or a midge emerger. For spinner and Rapala anglers, a slow approach works best. Trout will strike at a Rap or a spiner in the winter months, but make sure water temperatures are relatively high, as well as the slow retrieve to give those guys a sporting chance. The colder the water temperatures, the more lethargic trout become; therefore, it makes no sense to retrieve your lure quickly.

I just thought I’d add a few winter time tips in case you thought getting out in the winter is something you’d like to do.

Regards,
    D.A.

flinthills76
    Winona, MN

Dave,
    Thanks for the advice and encouragement. We got out a little bit yesterday on Pine Creek. Didn’t get a single take. You are right about the low profile. You have to get real low. We fished Hare’s ear with a brassie trailer. A fun day to get out and hike. We went last weekend as well and caught a few on the same tandem. There was also a hatch going on as well. the Saturday before. It was crazy, trout were rising like mad. I imagine it was some sort of midge maybe even a trico?

Have you fished any streams with good open water?

Craig

d.a.
    Rochester, MN

Midgees and tricos look alike because they are both dark and small, but that’s about where the commonality ends. Tricos are found from as early as July thought October (depending upon the weather) and certainly not in the winter. I have no doubt that you ran into midges – give midge larvae a shot; I’ve personally never had fantastic luck with brassies. Sure, you catch some fish, but the larvae seems to work best for me.

I haven’t been out to fish the winter season yet – been steadily plugging away trying my best to fill my fly boxes and then some. I enjoy the opportunity to fish in the winter season, but it’s a whole different ballgame then the sumer time. Truth be known, I’d rather fish more starting in March. I need it to be in the 30’s before I get REAL interested in getting out.

holien
    Virginia, Minnesota

much too cold up here in Northern Minnesota to fish. just ice fishing.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.