Trout season comes to an end…

• JonnyMayz
    Hastings,MN

As trout fishing ends today, I can only reminisce of the year that was Now hopefully time for some big Pool 2,3, & 4 Walleye

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Five years straight I was standing in the water on the last day of September. Trying to get that perfect cast to that perfect eddie or to catch the current in front of a log without any drag. It was always the best and the worst day to fish.

I have to say I must have been fishing the wrong areas. The only place I’ve caught fish like yours was on the Wolf in WI.

Great looking photos!!

markdahlquist
    Eagan, MN

Nicely done Jon. Is this a typical or better than average season for you? How many years have you been trout fishing this river? What percentage caught with bait? Do you think this river is getting better or worse?

markdahlquist
    Eagan, MN

I seriously doubt I’ll ever have a summer as good as this one. What is my secret? Explore outside the box. Fish non-designated areas, skip the Rush River, fish anywhere else. Fish metro streams. Big trout love worms and chub tails as well as spinners and raps. Big trout feed in darkness. Before sunrise or after sunset.

JonnyMayz
    Hastings,MN

A few of these are from the Vermillin a few from the lil Cannon and couple from Pine Creek. As for numbers of Giant fish it’s been a fairly typical year. I’ve been fishing the V a good 10 years. I got 6 over 20″ outta the V this year, half from the same spot. My buddy also got 2 20+”ers outta said spot. I usually will catch 4-8 20+”ers a summer since I’ve switched to big fish patterns (more night and very early morning fishing with bigger baits) about 3 years ago. So a fairly typical year, didn’t catch nearly as many trout from the 10-16″ range on the V though this year. I am very concerned about the amount of Northerns I’ve been catching lately though. I hate losing raps on fish that don’t belong in trout streams and I sure hope that they don’t have an adverse effect on the trout populations

markdahlquist
    Eagan, MN

Jon so you got six fish 20″ or larger out of the V, maybe for the season. I’m right there with you although four were from one stream and two were from two others, one being WI.

As for the northerns if you catch one I’d eat it or throw it up on the bank. notherns f up a trout stream fast. WI DNR made the mistake of re-introducing northern into a brook trout stream to get the stream back to it’s “natural state.” Big mistake. Landowners I talked to said they did a LOT of tossing northern pike up on shore before the fat brookies returned….

mark winkels

Regardless of species or if it is harmful, I cannot waste any fish. It might be the cycle of life for a coon, but it is not my place to speed things up! If the dnr stocked them they did it for a good reason! They are far more educated than I on the subject!

jhalfen

Quote:

As for the northerns if you catch one I’d eat it or throw it up on the bank

Wanton waste of a natural resource is illegal. Please do not advocate for that here.

markdahlquist
    Eagan, MN

Understood. For the record I’ve never thrown one up on a bank to die. Rarely come across northern on trout stream. Only heard about a brook trout stream that WI DNR re-introduced northern to get the stream back to it’s “natural state” which was a mistake. Then again, some would argue that northern is native and trout are not.

Anyway I keep any fish that I think won’t make it. My apologies.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.