Opener

• FlyGuy
    Winona, MN

Damn did it feel good to trout fish again after 3 months of not being on a stream. Everthing just seems better with a fly rod in hand.

StaleMackrel

Hi Todd, Glad you had fun! I’ve been on the ice for crappies. I was wondering what you use for wading. I have used LaCrosse breathables for the past two years. They have been the chest high type. I am thinking of going to Cabela’s for the waist high type. I do know that I bought the LaCrosse waders too big. I walk a lot, I mean, alot and I think that I used them up too soon. To get to the bottom line, how many seasons should I expect from a good pair of breathables? JJ

jjonsgaard
    Winona, MN

What kind of luck did you have? I had a couple friends that made it down to the root with very little luck. Unfortunatley I was unable to get out, but I plan on getting out there real soon.

d.a.
    Rochester, MN

I know that Simms waders are a hell of a lot of money, but if you walk a lot and are in the bush beating them up, they will still be durable for years to come. I have the Simms Guidewear chest high (definitely going with waist high next time). I’ve had to do some basic maintenance reparing holes, but they have held up wonderfully.

They are worth the money. Otherwise I’d check out the new Orvis wader that is a chest wader that can be converted to a wader.

FlyGuy
    Winona, MN

Mackrel – I use Hodgeman neoprine waders for winter season. They are not too expensive and are much warmer than breatheables for winter. The only problem I have had is they will leak in the crotch area after about a year of hard use. As for the fishing it has been tough. The fish are not very active. That being said between two of us we caught 17 Thursday, the largest a 16″ bow on the Whitewater. Yesterday I landed 12 at East Beaver the largest a beautiful 20″ brown. They are there, you just have to work hard for each fish.

StaleMackrel

Thanks guys for the input on waders and your winter fishing results. Your posts are always appreciated. JJ

Montananglin
    MN and Montana

Being from Bozeman I cannot say enough about Simms but if you are looking for an economical alternative with similar
    quality check out the breathable guide models offered by Dan Bailey’s shop in Livingston. I have used a pair for over 4 years now and while they show wear they’re hangin in there…what I like about them is that they a slimmer cut in the legs than Simms and walking is for me is a lot easier.

Kevin Biegler
    http://www.soudoughcreek.com

wing_nutt3

I love simms gear, I just got a new simms vest it is amazing. I can not wait to break it in. KFB I also am from Minnesota, just transferred to the Forestry school in Missoula. I see you run a pretty good operation near Bozeman. Need any summer time help around there ?haha Always looking for a job this summer.

Tim

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.