Winter season

• markvan
    Owatonna

Only a week and a half to go!!! Can’t wait to hit the water.

Mark

jjonsgaard
    Winona, MN

I have not done a whole lot of winter fishing, just because everytime I go I dont have any luck. I was wondering if you guys would help me out with what you use in the winter season. I want to get out really bad because I have been going through withdrawls for about a month now.

FlyGuy
    Winona, MN

After 3 months wihout a fly rod in hand I am unbelievably excited for the Jan 1 opener – not to mention the expanded selection of streams the DNR has given us. To answer your quesitons about winter fishing JJONSGAARD it is actually quite easy. If you are comfortable fishing two nymphs in tamdem this is the technique you should use. Nymphs I prefer are gold ribbed hare’s ear, pheasant tail, prince nymph, brassie, black pheasant tail. In the winter I use sizes #16-#18. The real difference between winter fishing and summer is where the fish hold. In the winter fish pick areas where they do not have to fight current. These areas include deep holes and areas of slack water. Fish will be stacked in these holes and areas that held fish in the summer may not hold one fish. Get out and fish is my best advice to finding these holes. When you walk the stream pay attention to where fish spook from. Fish those areas next time out. Fish the same stream a few times until you have it figured it out. Hope this helps.

Todd Olson
    The Fly Guys Guide Service
    In-Depth Angling Field Staff
    [email protected]

d.a.
    Rochester, MN

Now, another answer if you don’t fly fish. Small spinners and the sort fished very slow with very fine line. Trout are lethargic by nature due to cold water temperatures in the winter months. They will need a reason to strike. Carrying a thermometer is a very useful tool in the winter as you need to be on the water when the daily temperature spikes and trout go on the feed – some days better than others.

I would say my most productive winter tandem for me is the #14 amber scud with a #20 black Simpleton Midge trailer. A fishing pal of mine was in Iowa the other day and did well using real small PT’s – #20-22. I don’t usually revert to PT’s until March when baetis nymph activity begins to peak, but he did well on them nonetheless. Turn over some rocks or look in the watercress to see what’s active; then go from there.

pool4newbie

what streams are open for the winter season? how and where can i get info about it? do i need a new stamp or is mine still good?

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

what do i use to catch fish in the winter??? …..no doubt about it……

BEAD HEAD PHEASANT TAIL NYMPHS!!!!….yeah baby, yeah.

…..all around good fly to use anytime, but espcially in the winter. scuds and prince nymphs can also work well, but the PTN are always my go to.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.