Fly Swap

• d.a.
    Rochester, MN

Once again, On The Fly Guide Service will be hosting a winter fly swap. Swaps in year’s past have been very successful and have produced some great patterns. There is no theme to this year’s swap, just a willingness to share a successful pattern with others. I will be tying my Light Hendrickson dry/emerger that I have had very good luck with the past two seasons If you are interested in participating, drop me an e-mail at [email protected] or at [email protected]

Deadline to get into the swap is November 15 and all flies are due January 10, 2004. I’ll get into the specifics of mailing, etc. later when I have a list of willing participants.

smtroutchaser
    Minnesota

Sorry I missed this one Dave, sounds like it would have been fun!
    John

d.a.
    Rochester, MN

No worries. I host a swap every year around the new year. The flies and their recipes will be on-line on my home page once they are all in. The latest one I got in the mail is an Asian Beetle pattern – would have been great this year considering how many of those things were around in late Sept. and early Oct. It’s ridiculously life like and very real looking.

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

asain beatle pattern, ehh….very interesting.

do you think they will work for trout??

d.a.
    Rochester, MN

The guy who is tying them is a retired gentleman who fishes MN, WI, and IA a ton. Once the season closed in MN, he headed down to IA, and has been going regularly throughout Oct-Dec. Apparently, he hammered them a few days in MN and IA late in the season. They were all over the place during that time, so it doesn’t surprise me that trout were taking them. They are pretty curious creatures by nature. If you made a good cast with some light tippet (and considering they are probably seeing them anyway), they will sip it down. It’s really no different than fishing any terrestrial.

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

that would make sense i guess. you’ll have to try em out next fall and let us now how you do.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.