Fly Selection

• FlyGuy
    Winona, MN

When I first started fly fishing for trout with a fly rod I struggled with many things, but none more than fly selection. We fly fishermen tend to make things very complicated at times, and this can be intimidating to a new (or experianced) fisherman. So what I have done is come up what I believe are the most productive flies for MOST streams in SE MN. This is a list of 14 flies that I consistently use. There are more flies that are productive – this is just a list of flies that I personally have had success with. I hope this info is helpful.

Nymphs:

Gold Ribbed Hares ear #16-18

Pheasant Tail (tan) #16-18

Pheasant tail (black) #18-20

Prince Nymph #16-18

Scud #14-16

Streamers:

Wooly Bugger (olive and black) #2-4 & #10-12

Dry Flies:

Adams #14-16

Parachute Adams #20

Royal Wulff #14-16

Light Cahill #14-16

Maddam X #8

Elk Hair Caddis #14-16

Griffith’s Gnat #20

Grasshopper Imitation (I prefer Henry’s Fork Hopper #8-10)

Todd Olson

The Fly Guys Guide Service

EFN Field Staff

[email protected]

smtroutchaser
    Minnesota

Thanks Todd! say, what have you been having the best luck with so far this winter, and have you noticed a difference between streams. For instance, would you reccomend a different size or pattern for Whitewater than the Root, or maybe between size of river or stream.
    John Eggers

d.a.
    Rochester, MN

I agree that this sport can be overly complicated at times, mainly because fly anglers, writers, fly fhop owners, tyers, etc. can make it too complicated. I was fortunate to find an established fly angler who had fished in the area for over 30 years and was willing to take me under his wing and show me how to be a successful fly angler.

I also agree with most of the patterns listed and would thrown in a few extras.

Nymphs: Root River Special (http://ontheflyguiding.com/images/Fly_Pattern_Pages/root_river_special.htm) has replaced my regular use of Prince Nymphs, yet I still use the Prince. I alter my Hare’s Ear (http://ontheflyguiding.com/images/Fly_Pattern_Pages/hares_ear.htm) by using krystal flash as the wing case. I like the black nymph, or black biot nymph (http://ontheflyguiding.com/images/Fly_Pattern_Pages/black_biot_krystal_flash_pt.htm) which is nothing more than an altered PT.

I agree with the streamer choice and would throw in the Inverted Zonker (a local favorite).

For Dries, the Adams is pretty standard – good for searching and for the Dark Hendrickson hatch. I prefer the Fluttering Caddis (http://ontheflyguiding.com/images/Fly_Pattern_Pages/fluttering_caddis.htm) over the standard Elk Hair as it floats much better.

For Terrestrials, I like the Madame X a great deal along with the Black Wet Fly (http://ontheflyguiding.com/images/Fly_Pattern_Pages/black_wet_fly.htm). This thing catches a ton of fish.

To each, their own. General fly patterns for the area are relatively easy. When you start to encounter hatches is when fly selction often becomes more specific, especially when dealing with nymphs to emergers to dries, then spinners.

FlyGuy
    Winona, MN

My favorite setup for the Whitewater system in the winter is a hare’s ear trailed by a prince nymph. For most other streams, especially those south of I-90 i tend to use the same setup with a PT trailer. No specific reason for these setups except for experience over the years. Both of these rigs have worked very well this winter – they also work well with a #18 black PT trailer. The other fly that I consistently use in the winter is a #12 olive bugger. As spring looms closer I will start using a #2-4 bugger to trigger larger fish.

Todd Olson
    EFN Field Staff
    [email protected]

flinthills76
    Winona, MN

I’ve been tying Beadhead hair’s ear #16 with Pearl colored mylar for the wing casing. I also use copper wire for the ribs. Green, Beaver (grey) and light brown seem to work the best for me. I have used them on the Whitewater system and they work really well.
    Another one that I use is an orange scud with P. Mylar and gold wire wrapped around the whole thing. It works really well.
    Are you fishing a olive wooly bugger?
    Anyone fished trout run yet this winter?
    Later,
    Craig

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

uff, thats quit the list.

alright, so if you all had to choose just one of those off the list, what would it be?? you know, the one fly that you will always start off with to try and find what the fish want??

i almost always (90% of the time) start with a bead head PTN during the summer monthes. in the winter i will use mainly an orange scud. my vest is full with these 2 types of flies. if i don’t catch fish on these, i will usually give up and try spinners.

i don’t usually use any sort of dry fly to start out with unless i can see a lot of fish rising and see exactly what they’re eating. maybe i should, but i don’t

so give it up everyone, what’s your #1 fly???????

d.a.
    Rochester, MN

I don’t have a number one fly for year round, but if I had to pick one, the scud in a yellowish color (not burnt orange) would be my choice for nymphs. I fish that one a lot in the winter into the spring and then change quite a bit, as the lists suggest.

I like the hare’s ear with the pearlescent krystal flash as well. I have fished that more and more each year.

This list can be intimidating, but if you tie your own stuff, nymphs have all the same basic premise to their design: tail, abdomen, probably some ribbing, a thorax, and wings or a wing case. It’s not too complicated.

I fish dries if I see a hatch is on or if I want to do some prospecting, then I always fish a dropper – a beadhead PT sometimes.

FlyGuy
    Winona, MN

#1 Fly – that is almost impossible, but I’ll give you a couple that top the list.
    Favorite Dry: Royal Wulff
    Favorite Streamer: Bugger
    Favorite Nymph: hare’s ear (trailed by a prince) – I always fish tandem nymphs.

Todd Olson
    EFN Field Staff
    [email protected]

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.