2-19 whitewater

• Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

hey all,

it finally got warm enough this week that i could stand it anymore. i had to go out and do some winter trout fishing. so me and a friend ran down to whitewater after school on wednesday. we got there around 4:00pm and were able to fish a good 2 1/2hrs before it got dark.

the fishing was pretty slow to say the least. in the 2 1/2hrs we fished we only landed 3 fish (we meaning my friend) we fished a good section of the middle branch that usually produces pretty well in the winter time. we just couldn’t seem to find very many fish. we used mainly pheasant tail nymphs and orange scuds. all three fish came on the scud.

all in all, it was a beautiful day to finally get out stream fishing again. it sounds like it might be awhile before it warms up again so i’m glad i got out.

BillMN

Hey Jake

What size of scud did the trout take??

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

well, i’m not really all up on hook sizes. i can never keep all those numbers straight. it was pretty small though. smaller then the PTN i tried.

d.a.
    Rochester, MN

I would guess the scud was a #14 or 16. If the PT nymph was larger than that, there’s the reason why you didn’t take many fish on it. The reality is that there just aren’t too many large nymphs as readily available food items right now. Midges, for example, are tiny, and they appear in abundance,so trout are keying on smaller food items (although yesterday would have been ideal for some streamers). I have been fishing a small (#18-20) black biot PT a bit lately with mixed results. Those results should increase through March into April.

smtroutchaser
    Minnesota

Thanks for the info, Jake! and also Dave.
    I have been meaning to get over to White Water myself, but haven’t been able to break away. I talked to Mike at “Hooked on Fishing” in Rochester, he said ” they’re getting a few”, so reports have been skecthy. Nice weather today, but too busy. I am sure that I am missing the boat.
    John

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.