Carver Trestle

• kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Mayor Greg Osterdyk… Wow. I had no idea.

Congrats!

mfreeman451

congrats on what?

Just got an email back from the City officials:

“Union Pacific has indicated the bridge will be removed in the Summer / Fall of 2011.”

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

It doesn’t really seem like scattering them in the river is a great plan. Just makes them someone else’s problem.

mfreeman451

I agree, but hopefully they know better than us..

wes_bergemann
    Crystal, MN

Why couldn’t they light it on fire and have a wiener roast for the city of carver

Unless they move all of the wood to the downstream side and change the sandbar that all of this is sitting on, chances are that its just going to get packed full once again.

I am curious to see pictures now that it’s been 3 days since they started. How much wood is under that sandbar anyway??

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

Unless they move all of the wood to the downstream side and change the sandbar that all of this is sitting on, chances are that its just going to get packed full once again.

Sounds like the bridge is coming out this summer, so that should help alleviate the problem.

mfreeman451

I was down there Sunday checking it out, i’m sure they made some progress but it’s hard to tell, and not knowing how big that sandbar really is makes it even more difficult to gauge how much wood is still left.. The current is really ripping down there though and the river seems pretty high, in Chaska near the bridge the water is about 1-2′ from coming out of the banks already, and its not even spring!

mfreeman451

Just caught up with the Mayor’s blog, apparently they are “finished” with the log jam, and the reason why they can’t remove the lumber is the MNDNR won’t let them. So there ya go..

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Looks better. It will be interesting to see how it looks after the spring thaw.

cat dude
    Arlington, MN

I heard a rumor that a walking bridge is going to replace the testle bridge.

Can anyone verify that?

Sure is nice that they cleaned that up. It was hard getting the boat through the log jams to go flathead and eye fishing.

mfreeman451

I’m not so sure yet that it won’t just get stacked up with timber again as soon as the floods start. I haven’t heard about the walking bridge and haven’t seen them talking about it the meeting notes from the city council meetings. I doubt it is a high priority for a city of 3000+, especially considering all the money they’re going to be spending on the spring flood and cleanup efforts this year.

I don’t think people understand quite how bad this flood is going to be yet

dtro
    Inactive
    Jordan

The cleaning of lumber is only a temporay solution. When the rail line was in service they had to clean it out a couple times a year.

I hate to see a historic bridge come down, but this is one that needs to go, not only for the safety of Carver and flooding, but also the safety of boaters, canoers, kayakers that use the river.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.