Anyone out yet?

• dfresh
    Fridley, MN

Hey guys. Anyone making it out on the MN yet? I live in the TC so I don’t have the benefit of looking at the river firsthand in my old haunts. Any word about the stretch from New Ulm to Mankato? Still too high and full of debris?

larry_haugh
    MN

Its still up there pretty good. You might be able to launch a boat??? YOu might need a couple days yet.
    I can’t wait to get a peek at it.

mfreeman451

whats it looking like now? the usgs gauges have it down quite a bit but I haven’t driven by yet to check. I’ve heard of people putting up big cats down in Redwing already, Larry you catching any on the MN yet?

larry_haugh
    MN

I was able to get out for the first time this last weekend. I had to put a call into the city of Bloomington to request that the move the barricades on Weds. There were a few boats trailers in the lot.
    We went up stream. Lots of wood still in the water. It is still really high right now, and flowing really fast. It has come down alot but still has a way to go, given the levels it topped out at.
    We did throw a line in, My friend Roman managed a sheep head on some red worms.

If your taking the boat out for the first time, use caution and head up stream till your confident.

I guess 77 and Ft. Snelling launches are going to be closed for a bit still. (This is unconfirmed info, just rumors from on line.

Good luck

mfreeman451

I tried to drive down Blackdog yesterday and the road is still blocked off before you can even get to the launch. I checked out the river in Jordan and Belle Plaine and it is still raging down there. The Jordan ramp is still under water but the one in BP is opened up. Theres a lot of fine sand down there so be careful not to get stuck!

mfreeman451

I believe blackdog is open for business.

mfreeman451

we got out last night and managed a good bite at 10:23PM but couldn’t keep em on..

larry_haugh
    MN

What kind of shape is black dog road in? Glad to hear the fish are starting to bite.

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

Well, we got out on Saturday down near Judson and fished a nice current seam off 8-9 FOW. Caught a few nice channels around 6-7lbs, some shovelnose, some mooneye and one gar. We were using a cut sucker and nightcrawlers. The sturgeon were really sigging the crawlers. All channels caught had probably an extra pound of food in their bellies pre-spawn, and they were hitting like freight trains.

Fishing was a little tough with the sustained 25-30 MPH winds, but we managed

mfreeman451

I haven’t gone past 77 on the road yet, I know before the close it was awful so unless they’ve had some construction crews out there, it is probably even worse. It was so bad before that I didn’t even like driving my truck on it.

Also last I checked, about a week ago, there was a ton of mud and sand on the end of the ramp in the water, if you tried to put a boat in your trailer would have gotten stuck in the muck.

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

Quote:

Also last I checked, about a week ago, there was a ton of mud and sand on the end of the ramp in the water, if you tried to put a boat in your trailer would have gotten stuck in the muck.

The launch at Judson was the same way. When recovering the boat, I put the truck in park and it slid about 4 inches back into the mud. Almost got the truck stuck in the river down there!

larry_haugh
    MN

Quote:

I haven’t gone past 77 on the road yet, I know before the close it was awful so unless they’ve had some construction crews out there, it is probably even worse. It was so bad before that I didn’t even like driving my truck on it.

Are you talking about 77 cedar ave launch?
    I can still see Black Dog road covered in Dried mud when I cross over 35W. I wonder if they are going to redo the entire road. Its been about 10 years since it was done, and it has gotten bad over the years.
    Can you access the 77 launch?
    I’ll put a call into the state parks to find out if they are going to open that this season, the dock is a huge help in launching the boat.

mfreeman451

As most people have probably already figured out, the launch is open and the mud was cleared out. However it seems like the dock that was in place a week or so ago is now gone, not sure what the story is there..

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.