Overnight Canoe run on Minnesota

• Jakob
    Keymaster
    Rogers

Well, we did it.

RyanK and I did a float down the Minnesota river on Tuesday night in a canoe. Actually it turned out very well, although we did not catch a thing or even get a bite. We tried stopping at shore and pitching, we tried drifting (which I think was to fast). We mainly stuck to worms and threw some stink in there also.

The reason I say it was a good run is because the weather turned out to be great and the water was also great. We had anticipated getting thrown around in the current, however that did not happen. We used a 30lb trolling motor that could even push us back up stream if needed.

The whole trip took just under 3 hours (which we had guessed at 4-5). Was a great night to be on the water with some good company!

We will be doing this again, however would love some suggestions on fishing methods, since we are just shore fisherman.

ggoody
    Mpls MN

Thats cool. What stretch did you guys run? Did you see any other boats?

Nice!

Jakob
    Keymaster
    Rogers

We ran from Chaska to Shakopee – no other boats out.

larry_haugh
    MN

There is not really much difference in fishing from a boat or from shore. In a boat you have a little more of an advantage on bait positioning.
    Not sure how anchoring in a canoe on the river would work for you, but if your able that might give you a little better access to the fishy spots.
    Glad to hear that you had a good run. The channels are starting to go nuts from what I hear.

gotcatfish
    Prior Lake,MN

Glad you guys had a good run

We were out last night too and found this guy along with a few others

30″x16″ 13lbs

Jakob
    Keymaster
    Rogers

Very nice fish!

What tactics were you using if I may ask? Looks like you were shore fishing?

ggoody
    Mpls MN

Yeah right that picture clearly states the fish was caught on Jan 1 2003…..

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

From what I’ve seen recently, New Years Day 2003 was a money day for cats!

gotcatfish
    Prior Lake,MN

Yea Jan 1st 2003 was a killer! Can you believe the weather we were having Sunshine and 60 to rain and wind in less than an hour

We were in the boat, just tied up to shore. Fresh caught/cut sucker was the ticket. Outside seam in 10fow. I haven’t seen anything come from deep water yet. These fish are definately on the feed though. Saw another 30″er last night and heard of a few more. Tonight should be AWESOME

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.