Last Cat Hoorahhh!!!!

• larry_haugh
    MN

Well…..
    Made it down to the river for one last shot at the cats for the season. (It pains me to say it like that, but unless the weather turns for the warmer its almost time to shift gears).

I called Dtro on short notice to see if he was up for a trip, He was a little under the weather but not enough to stay benched at home while lucky Larry FlatCaster was going to hit the mighty Muddy MN river.
    It was a chilly night On Monday. We tried some shad, some fathead minnows and some suckers.
    Had some nibbles and bumps but they just weren’t in the mood.
    finally Dtro hit some channel pay-dirt. On…….. once again……… cut bait. It was a chunky guy that went a little over 7lbs. Only fish of the night, which made us feel good. We thought we were heading towards the big Skunk and that fish was the Skunk-breaker.
    Not sure what the fish were looking for. We could hear them thrashing up near shore, making quite the racket. Not as much bait fish jumping as in weeks past. The water temps were 60-59F.
    Last side note. There was a lot of debris in the water. If your running the MN make sure to keep a sharp eye out. There has not been any real fluctuations in the level but the stuff is coming from somewhere. We missed a big log and a big root wad by about 5-10 yards on our way back to the ramp. Didn’t see it to the last minuted as we were passing it by.

Dtro thanks for the good company once again.
    Get ready for the Walleyes (I hope)

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

And here I thought it was Briank posting saying that since he turned ”50” that hes just doesn’t have it in him anymore. Larry, cats do bite in the daytime too so don’t give up yet.
    Thanks, Bill

larry_haugh
    MN

The daytime bite will be the way to go moving forward. Just like in early spring.
    As far as Mr Brian. Not having it in him anymore……. The only way I see that happening is when he is 6′ under and that won’t be happening for a long long long time. Even then there might be muffled yells of “Get the Net!”

Moores Bait

Larry, I went to yours and dtro’s sectret spot yesterday at 9:00 am till 3:00. Yes, I snuck out of the shop to do it , and it was well wearth it. Picked up five chucky channels, and a bonus flathead. In the mix we also caught numerous sheepheads, and after noon we stated picking up six or seven hefty carp (did I say that on the cat forum?) all and all we had a really nice time though it wasn’t as warm as expected. I thought about trolling for eyes but I am not giving up on the kitties quite yet. Glad to here you will be there again for sturgeon, and good luck out there……….

larry_haugh
    MN

Alright Bob!!!!
    Just like Mr. Bill Caldwell mentioned in the earlier post. Daytime is a good way to go. I just wish I could flop my scheduel to work at night so I can fish during the day.
    I might have to have you take me out and show me your tricks.
    Very Soon!!!!

david_scott
    Twin Cities

Bobs trick…

You dont see him anywhere without a shad on the hook!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I am hoping to stop by Bob’s tomorrow am for a bag or so.

larry_haugh
    MN

Quote:

Bobs trick…

I would see how that would be a good trick to master.
    Since were coming up on Halloween here in another month.
    I wonder what Moores is going to be giving for Trick and treats. To all the big kids that come to his shop????

A bag of Shad and a size 12 to move us out the door.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Quote:

As far as Mr Brian. Not having it in him anymore…….

You have to remember that Brian turned 50 now. Good one Larry. I guess Brians putting away the boat means that his FW will have to listen to him yelling out ”Get The Net” in his sleep. She will probably have to beg Dean at Everts into taking another vacation so at least Brian can be down there and catch cats off the dock. After all a person has to get those fishin fixes anyway he can.
    Thanks, Bill

ps. Larry, no Mr. Bill Cadwell here, just plain o’l me.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

And ps, [yes another ps, ] Keep those reports comin guys. The Minnesota River is a miracle in itself after the way it has turned around thanks to the regulations that forced factories into cleaning up its act and not dumping toxic waste into it anymore like it use to years ago. Sounds like a very nice fishery now. Please continue to educate us on what a great fishery the river has become.

Thanks, Bill

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Ok, only one more ”ps.” The river has caused many fishermen to say just what the IDA logo says: ”Get The Net.” Gotta LOVE those words.
    Thanks, Bill

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Quote:

Bobs trick…

AND a fish on the end of that hooked shad.
    Thanks, Bill

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.