Hot night on the MN river 9/8/06

• larry_haugh
    MN

Well it was a great night to end the Bell Plain Catfish league on Friday. The evening started off a little slow for my partner Jerry and I. The wind was blowing pretty good and it was chilly so we decided to try some different spots out of the wind.

It was a good call, after setting up anchor. I threw in a minnow and to my amazement I thought I immediately (I’m talking less than 10 seconds) had a snag and the boat was moving in the wind. So I reached for my rod I engaged my reel as I was pullin it out of the holder and it was almost pulled out of my hand by a 27lb flat setting the hook on himself.

That was followed by 3 channels. 2 were in the 5-7lb range and then a Pig that I thought for sure that was a flat by the way he was peeling line off my clicker, that tipped the scale at 11lbs.

Then came the HOG of the night a 48inch 38.11lb flat. He was a sneaky one. I heard my clicker do a short buzz, I thought it was my bait, (but after loosing one earlier) I picked up my rod and felt for tension. None…. I started slowly reeling in and was taking out the slack in my line and here it was traveling towards the boat and out into the river. I kept up with the fish and waited for him to turn, and set the hook. I was surprised at at the length on this one. He was a little on the lean side in girth.

I lost a fish earlier in the night because it did the same thing and moved into a snag that cut my mono. Good thing I learned from my mistake.

Since I was fishing the BP contest and another online contest this was quite the night to put a couple of Big fish in the boat and on the board.

I did want to also mention that I had the opprotunity to see a new bait work. My boat mate caught a nice 26inch channel on a Frog. He has been doing very well in catchin fish in the upper 20inch catagory using it for bait.

Dtro had a great night as well. He and Hanson weren’t to far away from us and I look forward to him sharing his story with us.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

On the one that hit immediately, did your weight and bait make a good kur-plunk splash? I am just wondering about that clunking thing. Nice fish, hope you did good in the tourneys.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Alright LFC!

So..where are you in the standings for the BP and the ….”other” tourney…

I want to know if my “rooting” for you paid off!

ggoody
    Mpls MN

Quote:

I finally toss out my bait and before my sinker hits the bottom, I have a fish on! I’ve heard of it happening, but that is the first time it’s happened to me.

I saw it happen to Fisher Sherry once on 27lb Flat, pretty cool….

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

The next time I go out, I think I’ll bring some rocks along to distance clonk when it is slow…yes, I am serious!

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

Quote:

The next time I go out, I think I’ll bring some rocks along to distance clonk when it is slow…yes, I am serious!

Be careful not to hurt yourself!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

There’s not much to hurt.

jfloren

I was the lucky one to go out with Larry that evening as part of the Belle Plaine league. I just started catfishing this year, and it was a real thrill for me to see those flatheads.

As for a klonk, I want to try casting a topwater popper near my flathead bait. I think that would be worth a try. We noticed a lot of small baitfish near the shore and that kind of a popper should stir them up. I read somewhere that large flatheads will sometimes regurgitate large volumes of those tiny minnows. I can imagine them swimming through a school with their mouths open.

Thanks Larry for a great fishing experience.

Jerry

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I had an interesting thought. Would it be legal to cast a hookless popper as a second line in Minnesota?

larry_haugh
    MN

Welcome to IDA Blue Kayak!
    Glad you stopped by to check us out. Lots of good people willing to share info. We look forward to seeing your posts.
    Its was a good time last friday.

jfloren

Quote:

I had an interesting thought. Would it be legal to cast a hookless popper as a second line in Minnesota?

I should have said I’d like to cast near my fishing partner’s flathead bait with a popper. I think the CO would have lots of questions even if the hooks were removed if he saw you with two lines. I’d want something in writing from the DNR saying it was okay to use a hookless popper while fishing with another rig. Just one more reason to try and get two lines allowed.

Larry — Thanks for telling me about this site. I see there are lots of familiar names and faces. Last Friday was fantastic. I’m still pumped about those fish.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

Just one more reason to try and get two lines allowed.

Amen brother.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.