Myrtle Lake Report

• Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

I had the opportunity to spend Saturday on Myrtle Lake east of Orr. I was with my good friend Ken Walker who was excited to take a road trip with his new Lund. The Bass were hitting jig/craws in the green weeds with gusto. We did catch one decent Smallmouth on a Husky Jerk, just shy of 19 inches. The Bass we found along the shoreline would hit topwaters but were small. We spent the afternoon looking for Crappies and found them scattered along the shorelines in 6 to 8 feet of water. We found them pitching Beetle Spins and once we found some we went to tube jigs suspended under a bobber. Some of them were 12-14 inches though we had to pick through them to make up a meal.

The highlight of the day was watching a dogfight between a Bald Eagle and an Osprey. They were chasing each other all over the sky for at least 10 minutes. The Osprey dropped a Crappie, you could see the sunlight flashing off the sides as it fell. After the Crappie dropped at least 50 feet the Eagle swooped in and GRABBED IT IN MID-AIR. That was something to see!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.