Trolling Rigs for Pepin July/August

• StaleMackrel

Hi, Bear with me. Normally I do not like to troll for walleyes or saugers. It would be my last form of fishing. I have done it on a limited basis and have caught fish. I have three rods and reels that I used to catch salmon out of Lake Michigan back in the ’70s. I have not used them for a long, long time. Could I convert my (8 foot fiber glass rods and Omni Shakespeare spinning reels with 15 lb. fireline and use this combo(maybe with old fashioned keel sinkers to get my crank baits down to depths of 6 to 20 feet? I have a silver shad rap that has caught some fish in July and August using a normal casting rod with crank reels. I have rod holders but want to know about what you guys think! I know from reading this forum(the best around) that I should not use spinning reels. I am trying to use something for a start on trolling cranks without going to leaded line. Give it to me straight! Thanks, JJ, StaleMackrel o o :confused:

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

That setup should work just fine for trolling cranks. I would, however, suggest snap weights rather than keel sinkers to obtain greater depths. snap weights are removable making them a whole lot more convient way to get down deep.

Gator Hunter

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Spinning rods will work and certainly don’t need to be tossed out of consideration as a trolling outfit. If money grew on trees and you wanted the best set up for the job I’d point you towards some line counter reels. In this case with you wanting to stay with the spinning gear, buy up a couple of those $12 shakespeare clip-on line counters. They’ll get the job done in a pinch and allow you to do a better job of tracking your amount of line out.

I second the advice to go snap weight over keel weight although the keel weights will work too. The snap weights are just a little more convenient and allow for some added flexibility with the distance between the weight and the crank.

StaleMackrel

Thnks guys for the replys. They are much appreciated! Now the question is, “what are snap weights and where can I get them?” I have never seen or heard of them. Help!

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

Snap weights are simply a lead sinker with a clip on it so you can attach and unattach it to your line. You let out some line clip the weight to your line then let our more line.

Gator Hunter

StaleMackrel

Thank you Gator! I’ll try Hooked on Fishing for my first search! StaleMackrel

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.