Mille Lacs or Pepin?

• fish_any_time
    Champlin, MN

I am taking the day off tomorrow to go fishing before this weekends volumes of people get out. I want to go to Mille Lacs but the reports do not look promising so I am thinking Pepin. I know on Pepin I can get into the numbers and sort for a limit.

What do you think? Is Mille Lacs worth going to, has the bite picked up yet?

Bob Carlson
    Mille Lacs Lake (eastside), Mn.

Mille Lacs is on the slower side, if you spend the time on the water….you will catch some fish. This warming trend will help the mud bite take off soon!
    The Smallmouth are taking a liking to the warmer water! They are really turning on in the shallows right now!!!!!

fish_any_time
    Champlin, MN

Well gee, thanks Bobber. Now I have to try to make another decision. Put away the long line and rigging equipment for some smallie action? Gosh, I just do not know what to do.

newt
    Pillager, MN

Tough to beat those Mille Lacs smallies

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

Mille Lacs smallmouth is worth the trip. I was there Wednesday with my father. We had a blast. Caught 25 smallies, biggest was 21.25, funnest was watching a 19 inch smash my fathers popper on a fly rod. You could see that fish comming up from about 8 feet of water and hammer that fly. Play the fish fast as some are still in the spawn mode, some on nest and some in pairs not wanting anything but themselves. I never seen so many smallmouth fry ever. Good luck with your choice.

fish_any_time
    Champlin, MN

Well I am glad I have you guys around to help me make up my mind. Smallies it is!

Bobber, were you finding fish in the bays or more out on the reefs and islands?

Bob Carlson
    Mille Lacs Lake (eastside), Mn.

Reefs and Islands it was!!!!!!! Doe Island has been HOT!!!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.