Good family resort

• Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Anyone have any ideas on a good resort I could take the family to in northern MN. Need a quiet place that the kids can swim at and i can get a little fishing in.
    Thanks
    Mike

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I spent quite a few summers at Sunset Beach on Portage Lake near Bena, MN. It has a great beach/shallow sand flat that stretches for hundreds of yards out into the lake for swimming and the walleye, pike and crappie fishing is quite good. Owned by George and Sally Wosika – Ph. (800) 437-4840

If you stay on Portage you’re about 15 minutes from Winnie and Leech and a little further from Nine Mile and many of the other lakes up near Blackduck should you want to wander to bigger bodies of water. The lodge at Sunset is large and the owners are AWESOME to all their customers. Nuttin fancy but the cabins are clean and the walleye and crappie fishing can be fantastic at times.

CreekKid
    SE MN

Went to a nice place a couple of years ago on Lower Cullen Lake, in Nisswa. Very nice cabins. Reasonable. Bonfire each night hosted by the owners. They are located right on the bike trail and offer FREE bike rentals with each cabin. Nice sandy beach and a play area for kids. Definitely the most family-oriented resort I’ve stayed at. If your into big water the Cullen chain won’t wet your appetitite. But that is the only downfall I can say about staying there.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Did you mean http://www.bowenlodge.com ?

If you did, my link works. Plus this resort is a website sponsor and from the looks of their site and from what I’ve heard, a VERY nice place to stay. Sean Colter is intimately familiar with this resort if you had some questions about this resort in particular.

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

I just got back from Brookside Resort and I would recommend it to anyone. It is on Two Inlets Lake near Park Rapids. They have tons of entertainment for adults and kids. There is a par three golf course, mini gulf, pool, beach, tennis court, basketball court, arcade, and malt shop. The also have activities for both adults and kids every day. On Mon.-Fri. they have a day care for a couple of hours so you can get a round of golf in or some extra sleep. The resort is close to many other great fishing lakes and attractions.

There has to be a reason why most of the people I asked have been going there for 20+ years.

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

Stoney Point on Cass Lake is nice. Everets on Lake Vermilion.

lew
    Kasson, MN

Mike – I would highly recommend Birch Lane Resort near Pine River. It is a quiet family resort on small Horseshoe Lake.
    http://www.mnresort.com/main.html
    There are no jet ski’s or big speed boats to disturb the peace. The fishing is fun, but don’t look for any huge fish. Mostly pan fish and hammer handle northerns with a few bass sprinkled in. The bonus here is a peace and quiet resort. There has been a college kid there in my past visits who plans activities for the elementary age kids. There’s a small swimming beach with a diving raft and one of those flooting trampoline things for the kids to play on. They have canoes, small kayaks and a paddle boat available and also a hot tub. We’re going up the third week in July. If you are interested, email me back and I’ll tell you how we can each save $100.

Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

I stayed at a place called crooked lake cabins. it is up by the gunflint trails in a little town called tofte MN. the cabin prices where very resonable, kind of old fashioned without some luxuries. good fishing for eyes and bass and muskies. also has a resteruant withing walking distance called the trussel inn.

CROOKED LAKE RESORT
    COUNTY RD 7
    FINLAND, MN
    (218) 365-2124

give them a call and see if you would like it. they have electrical (generator run) shuts off around 1 or 2. you also have your own row boat, you do have to bring your own bedding, pillows. you can cook your own food over the campfire. i liked it, no phones, sirens, or neighbors buggin you.

shane

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I can vouch for Pehrsons on Vermilion. Lot’s of stuff for kids. 1st class service. No restaurant/bar. Very family oriented. Nice beach. Stayed at Island View on Rainy a couple weeks back. Older resort but very reasonable prices. Nice restaurant and bar. I never left the place for 5 days exept for fishing of course. Small beach. Didn’t look like alot of kids stuff around.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.