Bullhead and sauger hybrid???

• jiggin-rake
    inver grove heights, minnesota

My buddy caught this in Dakota county in a local pond/lake. looks like a hybrid kinda. Bullger or saughead haha. Anyone??

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

I wonder if it was a pet, a tropical fish somebody dumped in the pond. Or, what would happen if you had a hybrid between a yellow and a brown or black Bullhead?

Cool looking fish!

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

No idea. How did it taste?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I’m going to take a wild guess and say it’s a black bullhead that contracted an infection over the warm water time and it’s healing.

I can’t say that I’ve ever seen spots that black before.

Where’s Nick when we need him?

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I’ve seen that before. Its a bullhead with some color mutation. I am sure science and geneticists have a name for it.

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

It wasn’t, by chance, caught in Ravine Lake in Cottage Grove, was it?
    I was goofing around at Ravine a few years back the a camera ans saw a quite a few spotted bullheads there. That is the only place I have seen them.

Aaron

I dont think that it would be an infection. That black spot disease is usually tiny spots and it also covers their fins. This one just has a couple fins and it looks like the spots stop on the bottom half of the fish. Cool looking fish though.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Now that I think about it more, I am not sure I have seen one looking like a spotted cow. I think I have just seen ones with maybe 1 black patch or have the body is black.

The cool thing about fishing is sometimes it is not about the most fish or the biggest fish, but instead discovering something you never saw before.

I wish we had a thread pinned dedicated to unusual fish we caught or unusual things we have seen while fishing. I thought we tried starting one a year or two ago that began by someone posting the humpback saugers in the Mississippi.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

It’s got the crud!

Used to keep a bunch of bullheads for cat bait. When you see a few that look like that i usually saw about 40 dead ones within a few days.

Infection of sort..??

bullcans
    Northfield MN

Maybe that Bullhead bred with one of those Salamanders recently that was shown on this site?

philput
    Knoxville, IL.

I’ve caught channel cat on the IL. River that also looked like that but they also had real short whiskers? we blamed it on pollution? Chicago suds!!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Pfft. One page. What an inspiration.

Why is it in Sponsors Showcase – Sales & Product Announcements???

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

It’s for all species in all states.

I ask “why not”. No matter where it’s located it won’t be found by someone with a strange fish.

Personally I think when folks see the cat with the 4 tumors, they leave the thread.

TimJones
    Lake Osakis,MN

Black bullhead with vitiligo.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.