Smaller Lake Resort in Cass Lake Area

• elk_addict
    Northern IA/Lincoln Lakes Area

I have a coworker planning on taking his family to the Cass Lake area in late July. He is asking me about resorts and lakes to fish in the area. He has a pontoon with a 40 HP motor, I told him not to stay on Cass unless he could stay in some of the smaller bays. Do not want to see his family scared to death by big wave.

While I fish many lakes in the Brainerd area, I have only ice fished one lake near Cass and that has no resorts. Can anyone point him in the right direction for lakes? His kids are fairly young and he is a once a year vacation fisherman. Looking for pike, panfish, bass; lots of rod bending action.

Anyone have any recommendations? I can help him determine areas to fish and techniques with lake map and DNR survery info. Would appreciate any help I can get on this one.

erick
    Grand Meadow, MN

Big Bass Lake just up the road in Cohasset, MN. Great fishing lake and it is 7 miles long but narrow enough you can hide from wind. Couple different resorts on the north end of the lake a guy could google.

692fisherman
    champlin mn

big lake is just past cass a few miles…. smaller lake, maybe 800-100 acres if i had to guess. great fishing. i have stayed at sugarbush resort its a little old resort with old cabins but it works and its cheap. there is a sandy beach area right in front of the cabins which can be nice for the kiddos…….theres even a coulple nice resorts on “andrusian” (double check the spelling)…… great lake also with more resort options

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

I’ve stayed at Allen’s Bay Resort on Cass before, nice little operation. Plenty small enough where he wouldn’t have to worry about being blown off. Some great panfishing there too. Cass is still a big lake however, and if he rarely fishes, the kids would likely get just as much enjoyment out of parking it on a tiny lake with gills that cooperate from a dock. I know for my boys, the ability to start and quit fishing whenever they want, with the freedom to roam a bit further than a boat will allow is nice. Lots depends on the ages.

That said, I’d look to stay at a small family resort on any of the lakes connected to Cass. Lots of resorts claim to be family friendly, but have him do his homework via the web and he won’t be disappointed.

Joel

mike_utley
    Zumbrota, MN

Quote:

I’ve stayed at Allen’s Bay Resort on Cass before, nice little operation.

X2

The channel to Andrusia is also easy get through. Fishing the West end of Cass Lake even on the most windy days would be possible.

minnesota_tom
    Grand Meadow, MN

We stay at Birch Villa every year. It’s on the west side so you are close to town and also pretty easy to get out of the wind. Good perch and walleye fishing virtually right in front of the resort. Birch Villa has a protected harbor, sandy beach and activities for kids.

duke.harbaugh

Iowana beach resort. Best family resort in that area. Have been going there for 10 years. It’s a perfect size lake for your needs. They have a website just Google it. There are nightly activities for the kids and the lake is small and very easy to fish. Loaded with walleye, pike, perch, crappie, sunnies, and bass. Worth checking out for sure.

elk_addict
    Northern IA/Lincoln Lakes Area

I want to thank all of you for your input on this, it is really appreciated. I will forward this on to him.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Lost Acres or Kitchi Landing on Kitchi Lake. Google up “kitchi lake resorts”

Better fishing. I doubt you will make it over to Cass.

-J.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.