MN Wild 2018-19 Official Thread

• biggill
    East Bethel, MN

They also don’t show the ultimate potential. What do the analytics tell you about Kaprisov, is he a 20 goal guy when he gets to the NHL or a 40 goal guy?

We wouldn’t know at this point because the technique is severely underutilized in hockey.

My point is that analytics is going to become much more prevalent as we move forward. NHL teams have been contacting MLB teams about this. I have a friend who works for an MLB team and can confirm this. He works with pitching analytics every day. He says that analytics in hockey is severely behind all other major sports mainly due to reluctance to change.

You can’t start until you start logging data points and documenting results. That takes time.

It isn’t about winning 90% of your games. It’s about gaining an edge.

This organization could use any help it can get.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Hell, analytics could prove that Suter hurts the team by playing 50 minutes per game. Who couldn’t get on board with that?

JoeMX1825
    MN

I just don’t see Analytics doing much for hockey, it’s too fast a game with individual 1-1 battles all over the ice deciding what happens. The only thing I can see is they EXPAND the current data on shooting and goalie tendencies and you can already see the players and goalie watching iPads during the pre-shootout ice scraping time…

Baseball analytics are pretty much destroying the game imo, the other part is the hitters are too proud to beat these crazy infield shifts by simply bunting the ball to an entire open side of the infield…they’ve taken a 100 year old sport and turned it into a glorified wiffleball game seen on playgrounds…

CaptainMusky

I just don’t see Analytics doing much for hockey, it’s too fast a game with individual 1-1 battles all over the ice deciding what happens. The only thing I can see is they EXPAND the current data on shooting and goalie tendencies and you can already see the players and goalie watching iPads during the pre-shootout ice scraping time…

Baseball analytics are pretty much destroying the game imo, the other part is the hitters are too proud to beat these crazy infield shifts by simply bunting the ball to an entire open side of the infield…they’ve taken a 100 year old sport and turned it into a glorified wiffleball game seen on playgrounds…

I think in Hockey the analytics is just to support the film study teams already utilize. They can show statistics about various tendencies, etc then back it up with film. Its not that they are learning anything necessarily they may have not already observed, they are just being shown data to back up what their eyes are seeing.
    The goalie and puck possession data is valuable, I mean the book has been out on Dubnyk with shot tendencies and “expected save percentage” from certain areas and wouldnt you know it the teams/players exploit those tendencies. These are things you can see on tape, but how many hours of tape have to be poured over to see what a simple calculation can tell you? Its saves considerable time and effort by all involved.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

The fact is that you really don’t know what it’s capable of telling us at this point. I think most people would be blown away at the amount of data actually being collected in the MLB compared to what we have access to.

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>biggill wrote:</div>
    This is exactly why analytics is going to grow in hockey. Why did they win the cup? The team that can decode that mystery and show trends that improve odds is going to succeed.

Analytics describe what happened in the past. They can indicate what’s possible, but they don’t tell you how to make it happen again in the future. It’s steering the boat by watching your wake.

They also don’t show the ultimate potential. What do the analytics tell you about Kaprisov, is he a 20 goal guy when he gets to the NHL or a 40 goal guy?

Sorry, but I don’t have the faith in past numbers as an indicator of future results. Look at baseball, there’s a stat for everything so how come nobody’s cracked the code and winning 90% of their games?

The analytics on the Blues last season will tell you that they won the cup because they got hot goaltending and totally awesome play from O’Riley at the right time. I’m sure glad we have a supercomputer to crunch those numbers and give us the real story of what happened.

Grouse

I think there might be a bit of confusion around what analytics is, which is understandable because it’s an extremely broad and ill-defined term. What you are talking about is actually what I would call reporting. Normally the least mature type of ‘analytics’, it’s describing what happened in the past.

There’s an entire category of analytics devoted to making predictions for the future(predictive modeling), that is more or less the point of analytics in many cases.

Then, there’s an even more advanced category of analytics called machine learning, which is like a predictive modeling system that continues to improve and learn as new data is constantly fed to it(historically models were time consuming to build and develop, so they would be built on a static set of historical data, over time this would lead to the model becoming ‘stale’ if it didn’t take new data into account. Think of predicting sales for a retail store, but we get hit by an unpredictable depression midway through the year, this impacts our future predictions but wasn’t accounted for in our initial predictions.).

On top of that, we have AI, which is often taking Machine learning type systems and using them to automatically make decisions. Take self-driving cars, they are trained models that tell the car what to do, when to stop, how fast to go, etc. That system is on the fly making decisions to slow down, speed up, turn, stop for that pedestrian(or not stop for kangaroos in this case
    ). Those ‘models’ are constantly being fed enormous amounts of new data to make them smarter and adapt to new conditions/situations.

It is not steering the boat while watching your wake.

They will figure out next-gen tech and stats for hockey, look at what they’ve done in the NFL to better understand separation between WR and CBs, or win/loss type metrics for linemen. It’s going to happen, and the teams that figure it out first will gain a bit of an edge in identifying under-rated players, exploiting weaknesses/tendencies of opponents, etc.

It’s like the silly argument that the shift in baseball doesn’t work because I saw a guy get a hit one time that normally wouldn’t be. Well if shifting saves you 20 runs over the course of the season, that’s a net win. You’re not going to win a world series because you saved 20 runs, but it’s a piece of the puzzle, finding those little margins.

Saying something doesn’t work because one team hasn’t figured out how to literally win every single time is just a weird way to look at it. It’s a piece of the puzzle, and the teams that figure out this piece will give themselves a bit of an edge over the other teams, given they are competitive in the other aspects of running a team. And the more pieces they figure out, the bigger that edge becomes.

As for teams cracking the code? Well, once one team innovates and figures something out, the other teams follow-suit. You are looking for little things to exploit that will likely only exist for a couple of years. And it 100% happened and is happening in MLB, so that’s a terrible example to use for your argument.

Now, if all you’re saying is you don’t like it or how it’s changed MLB, that’s fine. That’s a perfectly acceptable opinion, but saying it doesn’t work or hasn’t provided value for MLB teams…not a great argument.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Sorry, but I don’t have the faith in past numbers as an indicator of future results. Look at baseball, there’s a stat for everything so how come nobody’s cracked the code and winning 90% of their games?

Because all the teams use it.

Analytics isn’t trying to crack a code or finding some magical algorithm. It’s tools for understanding tendencies and recognizing deficiencies so adjustments can be made to up your odds…in basic terms.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I just don’t see Analytics doing much for hockey, it’s too fast a game with individual 1-1 battles all over the ice deciding what happens.

Exactly. Hockey and baseball are two completely different games played on opposite ends of the speed spectrum. The glacial pace of baseball makes it possible to have the time to utilize all kinds of information to try to impact the game. The speed of hockey and the free-flow of play makes opportunities much more limited.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch…

Anyone want to try to use analytics, AI, guesswork, strong hunches, witchcraft, or their ouija board to predict who the next GM will be?

I crunched the numbers using my basement supercomputer and here’s what I came up with.

Craig has been burned twice now by “up and comers” whom he (wrongly) thought were ready for the big show. Both Yeo and Fenton turned out to be swings and misses, neither had what it takes to move from junior assistant to being the guy in charge.

After extensive computer modeling and consulting a leading tele-psychic with a 50% track record of being mostly right, I think the only guys on the shortlist are guys who have “GM” already on their resume. Not assistant GM, not boot polisher to the GM (another Fenton), not talent analyst to the GM…

That leaves us with:

– Ron Hextall
    – Dean Lombardi

The question I see is which of these guys can work with the more hands-on style of Leopold? Or maybe that hands-on style is because he didn’t trust his GMs? Anyway, I think it’s even money. Hextall obviously has the “brand name” from his player days, but I ‘d argue Lombardi has more demonstrated success.

Grouse

CaptainMusky

If I were Leipold, I would be flying my jet to where ever Waddell is and bring him back with me.

He isnt under contract with Carolina right now, so, we could get some reparations for the Nino trade by getting him here. Clearly he knows how to get the upper hand on a trade.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Wow. Listening to Russo on KFAN right now. He has an article coming out on Fenton later today. If you think Fenton was a joke right now, you ain’t heard nothin yet.

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

Wow. Listening to Russo on KFAN right now. He has an article coming out on Fenton later today. If you think Fenton was a joke right now, you ain’t heard nothin yet.

Agreed, listened to the same interview. I probably only watch 15-20 games each season, but I’m pretty sure I could have given it a better go than Fenton did.

CaptainMusky

Right, and you could tell that Russo was holding back too. Man, what a crapshow. He was worse I think than anyone could have guessed.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Right, and you could tell that Russo was holding back too. Man, what a crapshow. He was worse I think than anyone could have guessed.

Is this available online? Really would like to hear this Russo interview.

Grouse

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

The radio broadcast even has a little analytics talk. lol

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

If anyone has a subscription to the athletic would you mind pasting the story here?

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Thanks Waldo!

So basically Russo confirms the feeling that I had since about June of last year that Fenton’s tenure as GM was a total and complete sh!tshow. What a retread, totally unqualified and unsuited to the GM role.

Russo repeated over and over again the concern I had from basically day 1, there was NO strategy behind Fenton’s moves. He had no freaking clue what he was doing.

I have to hand it to Leopold, he did the absolutely right thing for the team. Now you’d think that it would be a “Well duh, of course he did, he owns it.” type of deal, but there’s a whole walk of shame that could well make an owner NOT fire the guy he brought in just a year ago because of not wanting to admit the whole thing was a dumpster fire. Kudos to Craig for making the hard but correct call, even if it is a ding to the ego.

The Fenton tenure was a disaster for the Wild. They ONLY good news was that he got fired after only a year so the damage was at least contained, but we won’t be getting Nino or Grandlund back so there’s no making up for awful trades.

Grouse

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Can you imagine if this team was a contender last season? What would he have given up at the trade deadline?

basseyes

From fletcher and Yeo-owzer, to Fenton, OUCH! Sure hope CL has learned his lesson. We’ve wasted a lot of valuable time and resources.

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

No doubt Fenton had his head up his arsse here, but lets not forget the players on the ICE have had their heads their arsse for the past 3 seasons also.
    “Good ridance too all of them” because no one that is now gone did anything to move this team forward anyway.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I would agree with you if they actually got something equal in return. They didn’t.

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

I would agree with you if they actually got something equal in return. They didn’t.

It’s over and done..Not a single one of them had anything close to a good year, not a single one of them were ever considered a valuable player to target and aquire.
    They downgraded themselves and the team as a whole, they proved for three straight seasons they were going nowhere.
    Their values at the time they were traded was bottom six, 3rd and 4th line fill in players.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

The trades hurt the organization much more than it helped. Those players had much more value in the form of draft picks and because Fenton had no plan whatsoever, they downgraded even further.

He did more damage in 12 months than Riesbrough did in 10 years.

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

As the trades stand alone,only time will tell.
    That #1 Draft choice in Fentons first draft was pure arrogance on his part that was his worst decision, the Zucarello deal should have been scuttled by the owner.
    Lot’s of bad Decisions from the top on down.
    Move over Mr.Taylor there is a new loser in town.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I think the Donato/Fiala trades will be at the worst a wash in the end. I’d expect these guys to at least be as productive as Coyle and Granlund are now when they reach their age. And hopefully when they do they wild will truly be in a position to be a contender. Hopefully they can unload Zuccerello this year at the deadline.

basseyes

If CL is/was so involved, doesn’t he deserve some of the responsibility?

Not trying to defend Fenton at all, but there’s a history of 2 terrible gm’s here. They were terrible, not denying that, but who hired both? And 2 in a row is a tell. Bah itch about fletcher and Fenton all we want, but there’s a pattern emerging.

I’ve been historically hard on RS, but maybe his attitude is stemming from something else? Am given pause to think maybe what I’ve viewed as problems with chemistry between players and the locker room goes much deeper?

This team has had some really good regular seasons. But no matter the coach or role players, the team seems to disintegrate at some point throughout the late season and into the post season. It’s really perplexing. Running into a hot goalie, a team on a hot streak, bad puck luck, whatever, but they’ve laid some gigantic eggs too.

They hire another turd gm and going to start thinking CL might be the problem.

The lack of direction is bothersome. Would like to get younger and faster. But would be fine with some good trades that at minimum leaned in our favor vs being a wash, but more often times it seems like our pants are around our ankles and not in a good way.

This team could still do something with even just 2 or 3 solid moves.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I agree about CL 100%. If this was as bad as it sounded I really would’ve hoped he would’ve been fired at the trade deadline or sooner. Some of the stupid crap Fenton pulled this year is completely inexcusable.

Two years ago I thought this team was on their way to becoming a contender. Now I think they’re at least 5 years away, if not more. Kaprisov is not going to save this team unless they tank and he gets traded. The best you could hope for at this point without a tank is getting back to one and done status in the playoffs.

That’s all assuming CL hires a GM that is better than average.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

He could always hire somebody off this board / thread. lol

Viewing 30 posts - 1,531 through 1,560 (of 1,582 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.