MN Opener (Roll Call)

• gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>stout93 wrote:</div>
    So what’s the fascination of going out at midnight?

Tradition? Can’t wait to get on the walleyes?

I could see when a guy is in his 20’s, maybe in his 30’s.

But when you’re 40, 50 years old and you still need to go out at midnight?

I don’t get it…I’d be wrecked for the next 2 days, if not more and it would totally ruin my weekend..

I can tell you’ve never hit a good corking <em class=”ido-tag-em”>walleye bite on Mille lacs at midnight.

I have. More than once. For 10 years when I was in my mid 20’s to my mid 30’s, my brother and/or a friend and I would do the midnight thing at Mille Lacs. A couple times it was lights out and at least once it was downright terrible, but it was usually pretty decent. This was before they had a season long night ban. We always fished with lighted bobbers.

I do agree with Stout now though, I do not have the energy or will power to it anymore. It screws up my sleeping habits for a couple days too. But the primary reason I don’t do it anymore was that I usually got stuck driving home at 6am after we were done, and as the years went by I found myself nodding off and getting sleepy. Not a good combination behind the wheel. If I had a place to stay nearby, I would do it. But I don’t, I have to drive at least an hour to get home.

TillrLife
    Cold Spring, MN

The last few years ive fished the horseshoe chain with a buddy who lives on it. Probably will do the same this year. Where will you be going for opener?

I live in Cold Spring and have a Cabin on Horseshoe. Just a note, the landing on 22 is still completely under water. The Landing in Cold Spring is getting better, and should be useable by opener. I might give it a try this week. I have not checked out the landing on Cty Rd 71, but I would think it would be similar to Cold Spring.

I will be fishing the Horseshoe Chain as well. I didn’t fish it last opener due to similar water level issues and due to no a wake restriction.

It should be interesting this year. Once you find fish I’m it will be easy pickings. If you see a Black 205 Tiller with a Zuk on the back wave. I will likely be on Horseshoe or Long to stay away from the normal crowds.

Boogerbreath
    Bemidji, MN

I was hoping Lake Bemidji but it will be cutting it close with ice out.

queenswake
    NULL

I have a slip on Minnetonka this year, so that will be where I go. No cabin in the family so I’ve always gone local. We usually do very well on both walleyes and crappies on Tonka this time of year so hoping that stays true.

Absolutely love opener week and watching the stream of boats being pulled up 94 W -F. Back when I was a kid it was Th-F. The delays on 694 getting onto 94 in Maple Grove were legendary. Just stacks of boats and campers going up. Now it’s more spread out throughout the week.

FinickyFish

Kittson County?
    [/quote]

Rock County. I wish Kittson, looks like they have a man made lake at least. The dam at Blue Mound state park broke so not even a fake lake available in Rock. Though I’m considering going after some bullhead in the Rock river

eyekatcher
    Lakeville, MN

Headed to Kabetogama the Monday after opener.
    Been doing VNP opener since 2001.
    Thats our spot in the picture to the left.

carver
    West Metro

West end vermilion, maybe just off the dock/shore. It’s going to be a close ice out. I have 18in in front of me still.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

i avoid opener……will probably go up the following weekend!!!! itasca county.

Swimjiggin
    Burnsville/Willmar

i avoid opener……will probably go up the following weekend!!!! itasca county.

Why? So be it there’ll be boats on the water, we’ve gotten to know quite a few fellas on the water over the yrs. Willmar area for us.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

^^^^^^^ simply dont like all the traffic and crowds!!!!!!! lot less people after opening weekend…… besides i can go anytime nowadays!!!!!! peace

and its usually my brothers weekend to have the cabin and all his cronies!!!!!!

The_Bladepuller
    South end

Bar stool at Lakeview Inn til midnight then head over to the culvert and cast some plastics and small stickbaits for walleyes from shore. Maybe stop and shine the trout creek on the way back to the farm to see if anything is in there. Go fish crappies late the next day.

Ah… Lakeview Inn on Dam Lake.
    I used to live on Co 4 betwwen Thor & 65. Stopped there often.
    As renters we moved on but stopped there a couple of years ago on a motorcycle ride & reconnected with Denny.
    Great place & the 1st place I took my wife to. Used the always good line of, “We need to get more beer. Wanna ride along? “

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

simply dont like all the traffic and crowds

It can be chaotic and busy, especially if it’s a nice weather day out.

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

If anybody’s considering Collinwood out in Wright county, I’d look for other options. Pretty significant winter kill. Pretty sad because it’s been phenomenal for quality eyes the last few years. Heard of a couple guys collecting close to 30 tags of dead walleyes walking the shoreline. DNR tagged a bunch a year and a half ago.

empty_stringer
    Wahkon, Mn

Will be up at the shack on Mille Lacs. Wind, weather, and pre-game activities will be the deciding factor of start time.

Ike Sell

Ok, im just not into the dark and cold so I’ll wait till sun up to hit a few lake near Outing. Rosie, Washburn, maybe Thunder. Good opportunity to find some kind of bite! I’ll be happy to take what the lake provides me. Hoping to find a partner.

weedis
    Sauk Rapids, MN

Most likely hit the Mississippi north of St. Cloud in AM with the girls then maybe head over to watab for some trout in afternoon. I have to work up in warroad the week after opener so hauling the boat up there to get a line wet on LOW

John Peterson
    Woodbury, Minnesota

Mille Lacs.
    The Red Door.
    Hopefully at midnight.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Mille Lacs.
    The Red Door.
    Hopefully at midnight.

We will be there as well. And then staying in the shack at the seasonal spot.

Craig Sery
    Bloomington, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>John Peterson wrote:</div>
    Mille Lacs.
    The Red Door.
    Hopefully at midnight.

We will be there as well. And then staying in the shack at the seasonal spot.

Ron, let me know how the bite is, we’ll be up following weekend staying at a buddies seasonal lot at Red Door

toddrun

UofM graduation opening Saturday, nice planning for a MN holiday. Not sure if I will get out on Sunday or not, see how reports and weather work out.

Big Sandy the following week.

The_Bladepuller
    South end

I’ll be at my place in Wahkon.
    If I fish will be determined if I can get the my familys help with dock and lifts. They have date conflicts.

Viewing 21 posts - 61 through 81 (of 81 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.