MN Fish

• tomr
    cottage grove, mn

Got one earlier in the year and just got the same exact thing in the mail.

Same here, guess they are trying to make us think they are actually doing something. Other than sending out promotional brochures I do not know what it is.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>basseyes wrote:</div>
    Got one earlier in the year and just got the same exact thing in the mail.

Same here, guess they are trying to make us think they are actually doing something. Other than sending out promotional brochures I do not know what it is.

If you send them another lifetime membership fee they will give you another brochure

Deuces

coffee

Attachments:
    1. MEME20190806_214247.jpg

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Sorry to toss you under the bus Ron…but…

Last spring when the legislature was talking about two lines in MN, where were you?

I heard the words out of his own mouth that he supports this.

But either way, support or not, where were you and MN Fish?

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Something that just jumped out at me was the long list of HUGE corporate sponsors. I think it was already discussed here but something tells me that us small fish are the least of their priorities.
    Pun intended.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Could be. So what are their priorities?

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Last spring when the legislature was talking about two lines in MN, where were you?

Forming MN Fish so they could be more influential on that type of legislation maybe? I agree with most of the posts that there should be more follow up and info put out there about their mission and where things stand, but these things don’t happen over night and it’s not anyone’s career to do this work. They are doing it on top of their regular lives, and for free as far as I can tell, so I’m willing to be patient.

basseyes

Something that just jumped out at me was the long list of HUGE corporate sponsors. I think it was already discussed here but something tells me that us small fish are the least of their priorities.
    Pun intended.

Could not agree more. Being hogged tied fiscally to sponsors is not good imo for an organization like this. They are always going to pause to think about what are my sponsors going to think if I take an unpopular stance on an issue.

As much as getting youth involved, ie kids fishing clinics are important, I hope this organization doesn’t turn into a bubble gum group that doesn’t really do much more than find opportunities to pitch products for their sponsors.

basseyes

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Brian Klawitter wrote:</div>

Forming MN Fish so they could be more influential on that type of legislation maybe? I agree with most of the posts that there should be more follow up and info put out there about their mission and where things stand, but these things don’t happen over night and it’s not anyone’s career to do this work. They are doing it on top of their regular lives, and for free as far as I can tell, so I’m willing to be patient.

Overnight, really? They’ve had months to do or say something. As a member, I’ve gotten 2 mailings of the same thing, doesn’t inspire confidence. In the day and age of social media and easy ways to spread news and raise a buzz, they are flat and lifeless so far. I’m willing to give them time. But passionate anglers have given them their hard earned money hoping for a voice, not a silent mute, unwilling to at least somewhat communicate what’s going on or happening.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

As much as getting youth involved, ie kids fishing clinics are important, I hope this organization doesn’t turn into a bubble gum group that doesn’t really do much more than find opportunities to pitch products for their sponsors.

I’m not sure that is necessarily there to pitch products but I can imagine they they would seek legislation to make it easier for these companies to operate and release new products that may not be profitable today. Why else would minnkota throw a bunch of money at something?

All under the guise of helping us fishermen and women. They won’t see a cent of my money until I see some sort of progress.

I’d be willing to bet they are spending their time working with the corporate sponsors and keeping them updated on the happenings within.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Overnight, really?

Did you miss the first part of that sentence? And Biggill, the conspiracy theory is strong in you, I like it! I’m sure those corporate sponsors are not trying to encourage and recruit the next generation of customers, but are really just lobbying for subsidies on unprofitable products… jester Related note, how do you turn off notifications on a thread?

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I’m sure those corporate sponsors are not trying to encourage and recruit the next generation of customers, but are really just lobbying for subsidies on unprofitable products…

Give me one good reason why they wouldn’t. The very second legislation gets passed to loosen restrictions you’ll see marketing that shows how it’s good for “us”.

Take 2 lines for example. Don’t you think these companies are chomping at the bit to market multiple lines?

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

Could be. So what are their priorities?

A museum…to honor themselves apparently.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>BigWerm wrote:</div>
    I’m sure those corporate sponsors are not trying to encourage and recruit the next generation of customers, but are really just lobbying for subsidies on unprofitable products…

Give me one good reason why they wouldn’t. The very second legislation gets passed to loosen restrictions you’ll see marketing that shows how it’s good for “us”.

Take 2 lines for example. Don’t you think these companies are chomping at the bit to market multiple lines?

I’m sure the companies lobby like anyone else, but that doesn’t necessarily mean they would use MN Fish for that end, and if they want MN Fish to actually have grassroots support and longevity they likely would not use it for subsidy lobbying. And yes I think any fishing related company would be chomping at the bit for 2 lines, which again makes me think MN fish was not up and running enough to influence the vote that took place at the same time that MN fish was first being marketed.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

They are doing it on top of their regular lives, and for free

BigWerm, You know I love you man…but PALEEESE!

I don’t have a large corporate sponsor other then my FW and she does not benefit from my activities working with the DNR to change laws (that would benefit large corporate sponsors. Taking time off from a job cost money. Maybe I’m just an idiot for not asking others to contribute.

Steve Demars took on a full time job working with the DNR to allow cast nets to be used in MN. It cost him money to carry this through. His wife asks him “why” all the time.

Darren Troseth- weeks and week’s worth of labor over the years to change the line law (not to mention the other laws that were changed).

I feel >nothing< but gratitude for anyone taking on anything on top of their regular lives and not being paid for it to help the MN Fisherman no matter what species. It’s done out of passion for the sport and nothing else.

I’m not looking to toot my own horn or even the other guys in all of the DNR species groups. Just saying that there are a ton of people doing this already on top of their regular lives and for free. AND have made a bigger impact then MN Fish has made so far…well as far as I can tell.

Shame of these people that are attaching their name to this organization and doing NOTHING but collecting money (that the contributors have no clue as to where it’s going).

/simmering down.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I’m not looking to toot my own horn or even the other guys in all of the DNR species groups. Just saying that there are a ton of people doing this already on top of their regular lives and for free. AND have made a bigger impact then MN Fish has made so far…well as far as I can tell.

Yeah, I totally agree, and if nothing comes from MN Fish I will be glad to disparage these big names for promoting something they weren’t willing to see through. And again, they CAN and SHOULD be responding to emails, and putting out information via Social and Regular Media about the timeline and their goals for the organization way beyond just the “join our group” communication they have done so far. It’s not ok and we should demand better. All I AM saying is this group was started in March, has a lot of shareholders and not much actual functional leadership yet, so I’m willing to give them some time to sort it out. This type of organization is something anglers need and is long over due imo, so I’m willing to be patient since this SEEMS like it could be a positive.

p.s. There’s a joke in here somewhere about some of the elder statesmen on here complaining about not getting what they want soon enough, ya dang millennials! rotflol rotflol

Buzz
    Minneapolis MN

All, this conversation reflects the difficulty in organizing anglers into a grassroots political NGO. What’s an NGO Non-Government Organization. I wonder how many of the chatterboxes on this thread have worked the Capitals halls or put in the long hours? Have those who are sniping ever put together a group who’s goal is to improve fishing in MN? Yet you come off as maybe more knowledgable then you might be. Support MN Fish and give them time.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I’ve settled down and I agree, does take time. 6 years to change a bullhead law that no one cared about. coffee

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Buzz,
    I’m a chatterbox that has worked/fought with Cities Halls.

Doesn’t give you an excuse to go radio silent. Especially when I’m on MN-Fish’s side.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

Have those who are sniping ever put together a group who’s goal is to improve fishing in MN?

How does a MN fishing hall of fame improve MN fishing??? YES, I seem to be stuck on that.

tangler
    Inactive

All, this conversation reflects the difficulty in organizing anglers into a grassroots political NGO. What’s an NGO Non-Government Organization. I wonder how many of the chatterboxes on this thread have worked the Capitals halls or put in the long hours? Have those who are sniping ever put together a group who’s goal is to improve fishing in MN? Yet you come off as maybe more knowledgable then you might be. Support MN Fish and give them time.

I don’t believe that MN-Fish is an NGO. NGO’s typically work on large-scale, broad international issues. Think Doctors Without Borders, for example.

The organization of MN-Fish is complex. They consist of a 501C3 non-profit called “MN-FISH Sportfishing Foundation,” an LLC called “MN-FISH Coalition LLC,” and another corporation called “MN-FISH Coalition, Inc” which I’m not sure if its non-profit or not. This could just be the way things are done, it just seems a little odd to me.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

All, this conversation reflects the difficulty in organizing anglers into a grassroots political NGO.

And all it takes is 5 minutes to communicate and all the animosity goes away. It was only 28 short years ago when the first ever world wide webpage was created. Now people communicate more through mobile devices connect to the web than by voice. You’d think someone would say something, anything.

I wonder how many of the chatterboxes on this thread have worked the Capitals halls or put in the long hours? Have those who are sniping ever put together a group who’s goal is to improve fishing in MN? Yet you come off as maybe more knowledgable then you might be.

Me? Never. At this point in my life I have much, much bigger priorities. This stuff doesn’t really affect my life enough to dedicate my time or money. Maybe when I near retirement I will get involved. It would be great if someone who I can trust would go to bat for me. Don’t demean us that have young children who can’t.

blank

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Buzz wrote:</div>
    Have those who are sniping ever put together a group who’s goal is to improve fishing in MN?

How does a MN fishing hall of fame improve MN fishing??? YES, I seem to be stuck on that.

To be fair, the recent requests for donations is for the museum that houses the HOF, and not specifically for the HOF. The MN Fishing Museum has been in Little Falls for more than 20 years but road construction this summer has crippled their visitor numbers. The HOF was at the Gander Mt in Baxter and I think it was moved down to the Museum in 2013. Now, they advertise the building as the MN Fishing Museum and Hall of Fame. So for MN-Fish to push for this I view it as preserving the history of fishing in MN through the museum, which happens to have a hall of fame.

tomr
    cottage grove, mn

I wonder how many of the chatterboxes on this thread have worked the Capitals halls or put in the long hours? Have those who are sniping ever put together a group who’s goal is to improve fishing in MN? Yet you come off as maybe more knowledgable then you might be. Support MN Fish and give them time.

This chatterbox joined MN fish for the exact reasons you lay out. I am more than willing to pitch in and help, long hours do not scare me. However for me to help there has to be some communication about what they are trying to accomplish. Some call to action, goals etc. MN Fish has done nothing but collect money!

tangler
    Inactive

And all it takes is 5 minutes to communicate and all the animosity goes away. It was only 28 short years ago when the first ever world wide webpage was created. Now people communicate more through mobile devices connect to the web than by voice. You’d think someone would say something, anything.

This. Could’ve avoided this entire backlash by realizing ahead of time that communication is essential and building it into their business plan. This stuff doesn’t just magically happen without investing in it. They figured posting a few quick youtube vids of “big names” was all they needed to get attention, and never thought twice about how to sustain that attention by engaging with their members on a regular basis.

Buzz
    Minneapolis MN

The old MN Sport-fishing Congress managed for awhile to get many anglers and fishing groups and professionals, sponsors and sportsman, under one tent. While we made some progress, ultimately it was in fighting between anglers and groups who couldn’t or wouldn’t work together. Shortsightedness and the inability to give the group the benefit of doubt lead to such polarizing views that many just walked away. PF, DU, Deer groups have figured it out. Spats about lighted bobbers, spearing, two line, Muskies, walleye stocking, soon dominated (sound familiar?).

tomr
    cottage grove, mn

I just called MN-fish and they now have an answering service that has a real live person answer the phone. Seems like progress. I relayed our concerns that there has been zero communication from MN fish and people are getting frustrated. The nice lady on the other end took my phone #, email and street address and said someone would be getting back to me. I will report if someone actually contacts me and what I find out.

Buzz
    Minneapolis MN

Curious, those who single out the HOF , when was your last visit?

Viewing 30 posts - 121 through 150 (of 215 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.