MN-FISH message to DNR about Mille Lacs Regs

• 3Rivers

Dear Commissioner Strommen:

We write to share our comments on the recent announcement by the Department of Natural Resources on the 2024 regulations for Mille Lacs Lake.

MN-FISH Sportfishing Coalition is a 501c4 organization formed in 2018 to represent the fishing interests of anglers, clubs, local organizations, and industry stakeholders. The National Marine Manufacturers Association (NMMA) is the trade association for the U.S. recreational boating industry, representing recreational boat, marine engine, and accessory manufacturers.

The recent announcement regarding Mille Lacs Lake has raised many concerns within the fishing and angling community.

While MN-FISH and NMMA understand that co-management of Mille Lacs Lake creates levels of complexity for the agency, we also are sensitive to the passion that anglers have for fishing this lake and the businesses that serve them.

Minnesota anglers are well conditioned by the historical variability and highly restricted harvest levels that have been placed on Mille Lacs over the years, yet this decision and explanation of the data shared by the DNR does not seem to correlate with their experience.

We are hearing several concerns from anglers and other constituent businesses that depend on Mille Lacs Lake:

First, we just witnessed an almost non-existent ice-fishing season that resulted in extremely low angling pressure and presumably lower harvest. Please reconcile the poor ice season with these even more restrictive, catch-and-release open-water regulations.

Second, our members and guides on the lake repeatedly have suggested that the agency’s test-netting during increasingly warm-water autumns is missing a solid percentage of the lake’s walleyes that remain suspended in deeper water late into the year. Anecdotal data from the increasing use of forward-facing sonar supports these observations.

While MN-FISH and NMMA share the goal of a healthy and long-term sustainable fishery on Mille Lacs Lake with the Minnesota DNR, we cannot forget Minnesota anglers’ right to access their public waters for the opportunity to harvest their fish.

It is for these reasons we respectfully ask the Minnesota DNR to re-examine the fisheries data and methodology used by the DNR when making the 2024 harvest decisions for Mille Lacs and share the findings with a more comprehensive report for state anglers before the Minnesota fishing opener on May 11th, 2024.

Sincerely,

Dave Osborne, President

MN-FISH Sportfishing Coalition

Jesse McArdell, Midwest Policy and Engagement Manager

National Marine Manufacturers Association

glenn57
    cold spring mn

they failed to mention all the land being given away!!!!! flame flame doah

big_g
    Isle, MN

It was nicely worded, when “We call BS on your co-management” would have sufficed.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

About time.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

What are the odds the reg’s change?

“0”?

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

applause Assuming the letter is legit I commend MN-FISH for finally taking a stand. Now I would like to see it released to the media to see if the heat could get turned up a bit.

Thanks MN-FISH, it’s not enough to get me to join but you are heading the right direction.

Gregg Gunter

I sent this email to the DNR information address and followed up 9 days later. Have not seen a reply. I was responding to the blurb they posted which seemed so odd.

I read the new Mille Lacs regulations and have a question. Since walleye fishing is good to excellent with multiple year classes showing prominence and bait levels insufficient to satisfy walleye’s hunger, why not lower the walleye population to reduce predation on bait species? Maintaining a balanced system must be critical to fostering the 2021 & 2022 year classes. It appears that the current situation is upside down.
    Thank you,
    Gregg Gunter

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Well it’s something. EPG better grab them a Christmas Card. jester

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

they failed to mention all the land being given away!!!!!

That doesn’t have anything to do with the fishing regs

glenn57
    cold spring mn

That doesn’t have anything to do with the fishing regs

i understand what your saying BC. but……

the letter mentions fishing and angling community, guides and businesses, amongst other things….. wouldnt that include all the land givaways around other bodies of water also??????

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.