MN DNR Crossbow Regulations

• trophy19
    Maple Grove, MN

2nd point below:
    Can someone explain why/how a crossbow can be used with a firearms license?
    Not making any sense to me……

Page 24 2018 MN Hunting Regulations

– Persons age 60 and over with a valid archery license may take deer or turkey during the respective regular archery seasons.

– Persons hunting with a regular firearms license may take deer, bear or turkey with a crossbow during the respective firearms seasons.

-Disabled persons with a valid permit and archery license may also hunt with crossbows or use a bow with a mechanical device that draws, releases or holds the bow at full draw.

Confused as usual,

Pete

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

You can always hunt with a “lesser form of technology”

If you are over 60, you can hunt archery season with a CB.
    We can hunt archery during the gun season right?
    Therefore anyone over 60 can hunt with CB during gun season.
    You can use a muzzleloader during rifle/shotgun deer season too.

I would assume, but have not confirmed, I could use a bow in place of a rifle during the rifle season if I possess a valid rifle license.

bigbeard

You do not have to be over 60 to use a CB during the MN gun season. Anyone can use a CB during the gun season, assuming they have a firearms lics.
    The over 60 and/or Doctor Approval CB hunting only applies to the Bow season.
    This is how I have understood the regs.

trophy19
    Maple Grove, MN

A crossbow, by definition, is not a firearm. So how do you use a crossbow with a firearms license?

Dropped DNR an email – will be interesting to see how they respond.

Pete

404 ERROR
    MN

This is what makes sense to me. I know it can get a little tricky, but that’s how I see it.

I know my metro land where archery is the only form of hunting allowed, crossbows are not allowed at all unless they meet the age or disability requirement…

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Why would anyone even WANT to use a crossbow instead of a scoped rifle during firearms season? Maybe if you wanted to decrease your chances at success, which no one would do.

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

Why would anyone even WANT to use a crossbow instead of a scoped rifle during firearms season? Maybe if you wanted to decrease your chances at success, which no one would do.

Maybe someone enjoys the added challenge involved with using the x-bow, much like anyone (myself included) who hunts with a vertical bow every year.

muskie-tim
    Rush City MN

Grant not sure where you are from but not all parts of Minnesota allow hunting deer with a rifle. Southern MN firearm hunting is shotgun only.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

There are many people that have decreased their chances of success. Any time you stray from the norm and try something new you do so. You can never grow if you don’t take chances.

Different strokes for different folks.
    Maybe someone is tight on cash but has a crossbow?
    Maybe someone built a crossbow, or is using grandpas gift?
    Lots of scenarios to think of.
    There are many different tranes of thought on every topic. Realizing that comes with experience. Not saying anyone is right or wrong but everyone thinks differently. Sometimes it makes sense, sometime it will not.

deertracker

Another way to hunt if you have a felony and can’t possess a firearm.
    DT

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

My buddies said this exact same thing when I showed up with a .44 Mag the first years they made handguns legal in WI…I had to work hard and long to learn how to harvest a deer with the limits imposed by my choice…..but I did…..
    The feeling I had after my first kill made the work worth it…..

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

The MN DNR has two separate licenses: Archery & Firearms. Any firearms instructions apply to the firearms license. Any archery instructions apply to the archery license. The first sentence about x-bows only applies to the archery license. The 2nd sentence applies to the firearms license where it states a x-bow can be used (without age or disability provisions). The 3rd sentence applies to the archery license. Instead of age it is allowing a disabled provision.

Basically, just follow the verbiage based on the license you’re using.

trophy19
    Maple Grove, MN

Response from DNR

Thank you for contacting the Minnesota DNR.

Q: Does the 2nd bullet apply only to persons over 60 or to all hunters, regardless of age? Not understanding why DNR is combining archery and firearms.

When you have a regular firearms license anyone over the age of 10 can hunt with a crossbow during the firearms deer season. You have to be 60 or older or have a crossbow permit and have an archery license to use a crossbow during the archery season for deer.

Q: By definition, a Crossbow is not a firearm so not understanding how you can use a crossbow with a firearm license. Please explain.

Since you have to be 60 or older or have a crossbow permit to use a crossbow during the archery season for deer, this limits the usage of crossbows. Legislature decided to allow hunters to use crossbows during the firearm season because it gives crossbow owners more opportunities in the field.

Learn something every day… I must still be alive. applause

Pete

Ryan P
    Farmington

Personally I think this was a good move by the MN DNR….I like the idea that even though I do not meet the disabled or age requirement I can still have an opportunity to hunt with my crossbow if I choose. But they still limit the use during archery season rather than making them legal like other states. This seems like a good compromise to me as a 32 year old Archery hunter that bought a crossbow cause I think they are cool. Honestly don’t know if I’ll ever hunt with a rifle again at least in MN.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

I’d agree. Seems this is actually a common sense ruling…which is hard to find lately.

Hoyt4
    NULL

Agree with how MN has this setup.

outdoorsmn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mark-bruzek wrote:</div>

This is what makes sense to me. I know it can get a little tricky, but that’s how I see it.

I know my metro land where archery is the only form of hunting allowed, crossbows are not allowed at all unless they meet the age or disability requirement…

You sure? I thought you could purchase a firearms license and use a crossbow in archery only metro during firearms season. I know people who do this, always assumed it was legal…?

404 ERROR
    MN

You sure? I thought you could purchase a firearms license and use a crossbow in archery only metro during firearms season. I know people who do this, always assumed it was legal…?

100% positive for my city. City ordinance can limit this and not all cities have an ordinance against it.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.