6/6-7/ 09

• fluff47
    NE Nebraska

Fished Verdell to Running Water. More water than I’ve seen in a longgggggggg time but it moved a few sandbars around. I took my time the first trip threw and glad I did before just running last year’s route. With all the water I don’t know if I’d get stuck but no doubt I’d have been drag’n bottom.

Most of the water temps were in the upper 50’s with some backwaters in the lower 60’s. Still pretty cool and with all the clouds and cold front last weekend things were a little slow. Caught a few scattered smallmouth and pike but I’ve seen it a lot better. Didn’t seem to matter much what on, whatever was infront of one that decided to eat, he’d bite it. Reguardless Of what I take the next time I’ll pack some extras. I landed a few smaller pike up to 5pounds but the BIG boys just ate my lunch, lure and all.

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Thanks for the post. I really wish that place was closer…I think could have some fun up there.

boos1906

Thanks for the report

fluff47
    NE Nebraska

Untill you get to know it a little you have to like exploring just as much as fishing. If you started at Sioux City, took all summer, and fished you’re way up from one ramp to the next I doubt you’d find time to ever make Yankton. I’ve driven/fished it all the way from Omaha to Pierre, SD and If you like getting away from the croud??? Thats the place to go.

This last Memorial Weekend we stayed at Gavins Point Dam. With all their hundreds of campsites full the normal croud was right below the dam. A few miles down I doubt I saw a half dozen boats. Where I went you might have to hunt all day just to find one.

With hundreds of miles water to explore, most people probably never get over 5 from the nearest boat ramp. You can get lost in all the water they’ve never seen. When you see another boat you don’t feel crouded but releived. At least you’re not totally alone in the world. Someone could come along if you had trouble.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.