Nice Link to some Smallie Pics

• mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Todd you ever fish the niobrara river that runs though your state? I’ve drove over it a few times years ago and it looked like one of those rivers you could canoe forever and was crystal clear out of the mountains in wyoming, what kind of fish are in it?

Todd_NE

I’ve fished the Niobrara at the Spencer dam by O’Neill. Pretty muddy there, the kind of place where you can catch a lot of fish, but usually nothing special. It gets prettier as you go west to Valentine. The Snake out there is good trout fishing, but tough access.

The Missouri above Lewis & Clark is a bass, walleye, pike, catfish, crappie mecca. It’s a very alluring place. At times, especially in the winter, you can see down 10′ believe it or not.

I’ve had days where I’ve caught 25 18″ smallies, and I pretty much stink as a river fisherman for bass. There are largemouth too, harder to find, sorta seem to max out at 5# for me. Sometimes it takes a 4-5# avg to win a tourney – w/smallies!

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Thanks Todd! I love that area of the river. We’ll have to hit it sometime. We can take my rig this time and you can kick back and relax for a change.

Todd_NE

Ya, let’s take your rig out in the marsh during duck season and see what happens

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.