Thanks for the memories Mike!

• kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Holst is one of those tree huggers in disguise. He doesn’t like to hurt the fish’s feelings.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Especially if it has a muley hiding behind it

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Now that’s funny. I’ve caused the death of more walleye than cholera. Not that walleye can die from cholera… but I think you get the point. But back when I was a limit keepin’ SOB out leadlining Pepin… that’s the way we always did it. Leave one open slot. Right, wrong, half of one, 6 of the other… I wasn’t commenting on what other’s should do. Just stating that’s what I’ve done as well. If you’re legal I promise I’l stay out of your business.

Unless you’re killing big walleyes on my river. Then I’ll give you the stink eye.

kooty
    Keymaster

Growing up under a different set of rules, in SD it clearly stated, put #6 in the box, your done. We always left one hole open for the boat, arguably unethical also.

To this day, when I’ve put my limit in the box, I’m done fishing. Can’t remember the last time I kept a limit of walleye/sauger though. I’d keep a limit of pannies if I could ever figure out how to catch something bigger than 6 inches. flowering potato chips.

kooty
    Keymaster

Just remembered my last limit. Mille Lacs opener, 2006. Grow and I killed our 8 fish over a two day period if I recall correctly. Where did we finish that year Matt?

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Still doesn’t make since. I know that when people play catch and release, after catching and releasing 6 eyes they don’t stop fishing….now do ya guys

Especially if you have clients one a good bite. What is the difference if I have 5 in the box but still play catch and release. There is none, only that I kept 5

kooty
    Keymaster

I completely agree with your mindset. Again, it’s Holst and his tree hugger ways keeping the man down.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Don’t mean to be a pain in the ass That is why i asked here instead of in the post.

Time to head for home, have it to myself for awhile tonight.

Pizza and beer night for me

gary_wellman
    South Metro

The way I look at it is like this:

Man on top
    fish on the bottom.

But walleyes…….now walleyes are different.

Walleyes belong somewhere in the middle…….
    the middle of two slices of rye, covered in cheese and tartar sauce!!!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Still doesn’t make since. I know that when people play catch and release, after catching and releasing 6 eyes they don’t stop fishing….now do ya guys

Especially if you have clients one a good bite. What is the difference if I have 5 in the box but still play catch and release. There is none, only that I kept 5

Bret with one “T”,

My post isn’t in response to your’s ya’ goof ball. When I first read your post my thought was “hey, he’s thought this through.”

Stop after 1 fish, 2 fish, 3 fish, blue fish. I don’t care.

I don’t see anything wrong or different with what you’re doing at all. What about my post makes you believe I was commenting that you weren’t ethical?

One of the other posters said they did it. I responded “so do I.” I quoted the guy that mentioned it being “ethical” in that I don’t feel it is ethical to guthook a fish and be faced with the decision to sort or throw back a guthooked fish. My comment was not about other’s ethics… purely my own, and my desire to have options if I’m keeping fish but don’t want to have to stop fishing once I get my limit in the well. And when I get 6 in the well… I’m done. I don’t care if I can read the rules in a way that allows me to keep fishing with a limit.

Make sense now? I honestly don’t care what others do if they stay legal.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

I completely agree with your mindset. Again, it’s Holst and his tree hugger ways keeping the man down.

Cheese and rice. At no time during that post was I even acknowledging Bret or his post.

Here I thought we were on the same side of the position saying basically the same friggen thing. Now I got you two assholes thinking that I’m even talking to either of you in public.

Like THAT’s gonna happen.

kooty
    Keymaster

Jesus, can we get a group hug here?? I’m sorry for calling you a tree hugger James. I meant metro sexual. Brett(haha), you are just getting sensitive in your old, and I mean old, age. Have a cold one for me, I’ll be cleaning my limit of 28″ walleyes.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Jesus, can we get a group hug here??

No. I’m mad at you guys.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Quote:

Quote:

Jesus, can we get a group hug here??

No. I’m mad at you guys.

Com’on…..I love ya man

I’m not sure if the first beer I just had even had flavor

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I just got back from dinner with the gal. She starts thing off with “I think we should get a bottle of wine just in case I want a second glass.”

She never does.

I’m pretty happy right now.

kooty
    Keymaster

I can’t believe you drink wine. Wait, metro sexual….wine. Ya, I guess it fits.

I always say, whatever it takes to get the old lady in the mood!!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

The gal and I have a bottle of wine with dinner almost every night. I love my beer but I never have it around the house.

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

I could send the wife back to Ireland for ya.

I need the time off.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

I could send the wife back to Ireland for ya.

I need the time off.

Buddy… that was one happy summer for this guy. I never knew how much I could love scotch. MmmmmMMMmmmmMMM. That 14 year old stuff was awesome. Next time I’ll send her with the coin for some 21 year old stuff.

kooty
    Keymaster

Dude, I got a bottle of something you can have. I’m told it’s $60.00+ scotch. I won’t open it. I’ve had it for 4 years, so I know it’s at least that old. The bottle says LeDaig on it.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Dude, I got a bottle of something you can have. I’m told it’s $60.00+ scotch. I won’t open it. I’ve had it for 4 years, so I know it’s at least that old. The bottle says LeDaig on it.

That’s not some thing you give away… that’s some thing you share.

Scotch and a splash of water. MmmmMmmm good sippin’!

pool13_jeff
    NW, IL

Quote:

stink eye

That’s what Grow gets after he pulls out of Luke’s ass , and then gets too close looking at his “handy” work.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Ouch

Time to make the donuts

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Mmmmmmmm….. donuts.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

That made my head feel a little better

kooty
    Keymaster

Quote:

That’s not some thing you give away… that’s some thing you share.

Scotch and a splash of water. MmmmMmmm good sippin’!

I’m not real good at sippin’. My old neighbor brought some over one night a few years back. Tasted much the same as I imagine grain alcohol. I guess the redneck in me just won’t allow such culture.

DANPEARSON
    Central WI

Mike and I made it back from our Colorado elk trip safe and sound. No elk, but what an awesome hunt and experience we had. Was the most physical hunt we have ever been on, but that was the adventure we both were looking for. We were in elk everyday, and to hear those bulls scream and bugle at us was a dream come true for me. The wind was not our friend in the mountains. Every time we had the wind in our favor, it would switch on us. If we had our rifles, we would have come home with our elk. But that’s was the challenge we both were looking for, and can not wait to get back out there to try it again. I am hooked.

A lot of time and energy went into this hunt, and it will be nice to get back to our normal routines again. A big thanks to our wives and kids for their sacrifice and allowing us to do what we love to do.

Now we can concentrate on chasing whitetails again, which should be a breeze compared to chasing elk up and down the mountains.

Thanks again Mike for an awesome time!

lick

sounds like a blast dan thanks for sharing your recap

thats a long time to be in the mountains with Mike

you can be in great shape but without air your just sucking wind

prieser
    Byron, MN

Just goes to show, that there is more to the hunt than the actual harvest. Good read, I had a rifle last year and still came home empty handed.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.