A few Nebraska Elk

• duckhuntrrus
    Lexington Ne

Here are a few elk that have been taken here in Nebraska the past couple of weeks, Hope you all enjoy. The elk tags are once in a lifetime.

Well I know that this is a bowhunting forum and I did take my bow with me when I went out after him yesterday, but I did shoot him with the rifle. But it does not matter I could not be any happier.

OK here is the story.

Got up at 3 am to go out and listen to them bugle, got out there and they were just screaming there heads off. Got over to where it sounded like a big bull and listened for 2 hours. About 45 minutes before shooting light we snuck down the hill and got into the draw and was working down the draw to get the wind in our favor. Let me tell you that was no easy task it was thick and steep. Got over to where I thought the elk were at and nothing was there, they had moved off. So we done a little bit of calling to see if we could get one to answer but no luck. So we kept pushing up the draw and got over to the field that we had been seeing them in. Got over there and no elk, so we walked out into the field and clear on the other side of the big field we seen a couple of elk. So we hurried up a long the edge of the field and went across another draw and back into the field. We just caught the sight of a elk facing away. I got my binoculars up and looked and all I saw was rack sticking out on both sides of the elk. So got low and ran about 200 yards closer. Got the camera out on the tripod and got the rifle out on the bipods and my other buddy went behind us and started to cow call. The bull turned and started to come in and was about 150 yards out and stopped. And stared for 10 minutes, we would call and he would bugle right back. The whole time he was doing that all I could see was his RACK shock . Trent leans over and ask if I can see him, and I said no just his rack. When I was looking at him I leaned over to trent and said “HE HAS 9 POINTS ON HIS LEFT SIDE”. The bull still was standing there and again all I could see was antlers. Then his cows started to move off to the right. Which was perfect for me to shoot. As his cows were moving off he turned to follow them, I ready my rifle for the shot. He walk through the first small open and then the next one. As he was walking behind one of the cows he started to run to chase another bull of the came in from the far right. Right as he started to run trent hit the ow call and the bull stopped right in his tracks and stared right at us. But he was too late I already had the cross hairs on him. Squeezed the trigger and to my amazement watch the big bull drop right in his tracks. shock Jacked another shell in and watch the bull to make sure he was not getting up and he did not. After I knew that he was going to get up I started to shake uncontrollably and could not believe that I just shot this big bull. Trent turns the camera and says that he got the whole thing on video. As we got up to go look at him the closer we got to him the bigger and bigger he was getting. Got over to him and I still cannot belive how big those animals are. He has 9 points on his left and 8 Points on his right. Hope you guys like the pictures, my face is still hurting from smiling because I have been smiling all day.

Its not a bow kill either but we just got back from our Nebraska Elk hunt. It was dad, my brother trevor, and I. My dad had the coveted once in a lifetime bull tag and my brother and I were just along for ride to watch the hunt. We did a bit more last minute scouting thursday and friday. By friday we decided to do a little grouse hunting to pass the time till we could chase them bugling beasts they call elk. Opening day came and went with no elk. We heard quite a few bugling way before daylight then the bull that was suppose to be out on a particular alfalfa field had disappeared overnight, so it was back to the drawing boards. We hunted sun up to sun down that first day hoping our efforts would pay off. Well after picking a spot to set up the next morning we were off to bed hoping tomorrow would bring better results. We woke up to a rather warm breeze which made it hard to hear anything bugle. We didnt let it bring us down as we headed to the spot we had picked out. I had been doing cow calling most of the morning with no responses and not an elk to be seen. As it neared 730 the hopes of getting one with that early morning advantage started to fade. I did one more set of cow calls at 740, and by 745 i was woken up by my dad whispering at my brother and I. “Can anybody tell how big he is, i cant see his horns”. I look up through the trees and standing there 80 yards away is a magnificent creature starring back at us. He snuck in out of nowhere. It didnt take long though before we could tell he was a good one. Not knowing how long he might stick around before he took off, i couldnt risk my dad waiting for me to get the camera on the bull. This was the first nice bull we had seen while hunting and we didnt wanna blow it. A well placed shot from the 7mm put him down in no time. We couldnt be happier, it was awesome that my brother and I were both there to experience the hunt as well. What a trip, truly a once in a lifetime hunt!!

chev70
    SW Wisconsin

Them are some great looking Bully Boys

jason_ramthun
    Byron MN

First off CONGRATS GUYS, THEM ARE SOME HOGS !!!! Great story and hunt and better yet you got it on video BTW this is not just a bowhunting forum it’s a everything forum .. Thanks a ton for the story guys and a BIG CONGRATS ON A HUNT OF A LIFE TIME

jeff_jensen
    cassville ,wis

Great bulls and congratulations!!!

Thanks for taking the time to share, good stuff right there Any chance in seeing that vid?

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Quote:

First off CONGRATS GUYS, THEM ARE SOME HOGS

X2

WOW thanks for sharing your adventures with us and keep them coming. Like GMAN said Bow, Gun, or Muzzle Loader it don’t matter!

Awesome, PM Sent!

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Some great looking bulls guys and thank you for sharing your hunts/pics with us!

jeff_heeg
    Marshfield WI.

First off a Big Congrats!

Thanks I really enjoyed the pictures and the great story; it really is awesome that after so many great hunts we can still get all rattled up after harvesting a brute – what a rush

Congrats

Jeff

mpearson
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Those are some beautiful looking animals! Congrats on a great hunt!

phishirman
    Madison, WI

THAT, my fellow IDOers, is what dreams are made of!!!

congrats

tmski

Those are some dandies!!! Great job!

lick

wow great bulls and great stories congrats

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Thanks for sharing. What part of NE has free range elk in huntable size herds?

johnsy
    Mantorville, Mn

Quote:

Thanks for sharing. What part of NE has free range elk in huntable size herds?

x2 Congrats on those GREAT animals

robhood23

My buddy Ed moved to Nebraska a few years ago and drew a tag last year and tagged a dandy out there! They have some huge bulls!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.