Elk “Tips”

• DANPEARSON
    Central WI

As Mike and I are preparing for our trip out west next week, I have a question regarding monetary tips for the rancher. This is our first time doing a hunt like this and was looking for some advice. We are staying on his ranch in a cabin, but we provide all food and beverages. This is a non-guided hunt, but he will provide us with maps and knowledge of where to go. We also booked horses for the week at a cost of $500 per person and he will trailer them for us to and from any trail head of our choice. So again, I am looking for some advice as far as what an appropriate tip would be if any.

prieser
    Byron, MN

I would let your gut tell you, did you have a good trip? were the horses good? Were the directions and maps accurate and useful? Was the cabin acceptable? 10 – 20% of your total cost each. If not well…….

By the way, if his horses have been up in them montains before, they will remember where other hunters/guides tied them off for the day. If they just seem to stop at a certain spot, scout it out. My guide last year told me that one, Damn mules kept giving up his good hunting/glassing spots. Good luck

Jon Stevens
    Northfield, Wi

I’m with ya prieser. A tip is above and beyond what is expected. If you can see the guy is doing everything in his power to accomidate you, tip accordingly. If he points up the hill and says “have at it”. Save some of your cash for the next trip.

corey_waller
    hastings mn

I compltely agree a tip is for someone who earns it. Its not a hand out, its earned by going above and beyond.

and the horse trick….
    you bet it works. on our Colorado elk hunt those darn horses always stopped at the perfect spots for glassing on the way up the mountain.

tmski

If it’s a so-so trip (you see some animals, no shots, nice accommodations) then no more than 10% of your total stay there (not counting gas, the food and beverages). If you end up taking an elk, the rancher is going out of his way for you and you feel like you were treated well, then 20% is a good starting point.

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

This is from an Elk Outfitter that’s been guiding over 25 years that sums it up pretty good:

How much do I tip my guide and cook?
    I am often asked, “How much do I leave my guide and cook as a tip?” This is a hard question, because a gratuity is left to show consideration for a job well done. Everybody’s opinion of what that is worth is a bit different. From my experience over the past 25 years and after speaking with several other credible outfitters the following is a good rule of thumb. If you, the client, feel that your guide worked hard for you, was knowledgeable about the country and wildlife, and did everything in his control to ensure you an enjoyable quality hunt; then no less than 10% of the cost of the hunt is what we suggest, and is more or less the industry standard.

Also, please don’t forget the cook and other camp help. As for the cooks, most all of our hunts have 4 to 6 hunters in camp at any one time. If each hunter leaves the cook with at least $100.00 that provides the cook with a comparable gratuity to the guides.

Please consider this, our guides scout on their own time in the summer and fall, usually making several trips, to ensure their client the best opportunity at a trophy animal. They also use their own vehicle and their own personal equipment (i.e. binoculars, spotting scopes, cameras, etc). Prior to the hunt, our cooks spend a lot of their own time planning and preparing meals. They are the first ones up each morning, the last ones to bed each night, and stay busy in camp all day cleaning up or getting ready for the next meal.

Again, I want to reiterate that a tip is a personal expression of gratitude; therefore a definitive value is difficult to determine, however for those who pose the “how much” question, these are simply some industry guidelines that I have observed over the past 25 years, and felt that it would be helpful information to you, our clients.

mpearson
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Thanks guys….good information!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.