Elk vision?

• mpearson
    Chippewa Falls, WI

So we’ll be heading out this September for our first ever archery hunt and I have a question for you experienced elk hunters. How well do elk see? My question really is how well do you need to be concealed from them? I’ve seen the hunting shows where they are basically hiding behind a tiny tree or bush and the elk almost walks over them…is this realistic? Or should I concentrate on finding better cover to hide behind? Also, what about drawing on an elk? Can you get away with some movement and if so how much?

jason_ramthun
    Byron MN

Oh they can see very well and when they bust you most of the time they will be about 5 miles away by the time you stand up Just walk real slow and call , if you hear ANYTHING snap or just odd noise hit the ground and get ready ! Many times you won’t have time to hide behind anything if they come in fast yes it is nice to hide behind something but it’s not a must ! Just be ready at all times ! I pulled back and held as they walk in but sometimes they fart around and you will have to pick a time and spot to pull back so they don’t see you

big_g
    Isle, MN

I have always heard, they can see the slightest movement very well… if your still, they won’t really pick you off, but like GMAN says, pick your spots/time. I know sometimes when a whitetail busts movement, they will try to figure it out…. I have heard Elk will try to figure it out after they put a mile between ya !!!

mpearson
    Chippewa Falls, WI

If they do spook, will cow calling get them to stop for a split second shot? It seems everytime they bust a guy on the videos that they hit the cow call and the bulls stops, turns broadside and offers them a second chance! This is definately going to be a learning experience, but one I won’t soon forget either! Come on 5 1/2 weeks! Thanks guys for the tips!

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Mike – if you can see your own reflection in their eyes, that means they have you spotted…

les_welch

Quote:

So we’ll be heading out this September for our first ever archery hunt and I have a question for you experienced elk hunters. How well do elk see? My question really is how well do you need to be concealed from them? I’ve seen the hunting shows where they are basically hiding behind a tiny tree or bush and the elk almost walks over them…is this realistic? Or should I concentrate on finding better cover to hide behind? Also, what about drawing on an elk? Can you get away with some movement and if so how much?

Don’t hide behind things. It will cost you. Get if front of something, tree, bush, whatever to help break your outline. If your behind brush, trees, etc, you can’t draw your bow.

To answer your question, yes they have good vision, like a whitetail. A cow call will stop them…..sometimes, usually more than not, unless it was blatantly obvious or they get your wind.

tmski

Elk have very good vision, but like others have said, you can fool them. A good camo pattern and getting IN FRONT of something (bush, sagebrush, tree, etc.) to break up your outline is going to be better than hiding behind something. Cow calls are very effective for stopping elk……….if they haven’t figured you out already…….if you are covered in cover scent, have a good camo pattern and are still, you have a very good chance of stopping an elk with a cow call.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.