4 weeks, are YOU ready?????????

• James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

HA! As luck would have it I just checked my email and there it was… the promotional code for In-Depth Outdoors members to save 20% off of any of the Snosuit products.

That promo code is >>> ido

Enter that code at check out and you’ll save $120.00 on a set of bibs and jacket.

les_welch

My pack is loaded, 100%. It checks in at 61#, I may make a couple of additions or subtractions, depending on my mood, with a week to go. We will be in the woods for two weeks straight if need be. I am shooting daily to 100 yards. I am hiking bluffs, with the pack and boots on, with bow in hand. I am ready, this is the time of year I LIVE for.

Are you ready? The only person you can fool now is yourself.

DANPEARSON
    Central WI

Need more practice on the bugling but it’s coming along. Got the cow calls down pretty good. Hitting the gym in the mornings, and climbing stairs with my pack on in the evenings. Had the bow tuned up a few weeks ago and got it dialed in out to 70 yards.

September 17th can not come fast enough!

prieser
    Byron, MN

Quote:

The only person you can fool now is yourself.

I quit chewing and put on 20 lbs. Good thing I lost 40 last year. I will be a flat lander this year anyway. Good luck everyone heading out west. Maybe next year.

SteveHuettl
    South Metro

OH…I’M READY!! 67 yards to the stand (on flat land) and 15 tree steps up to be exact

I’m looking to gain 5 lbs before the season starts by sitting on the couch and drinking beer!!

damman
    Pepin county Wi

you asked that same question two weeks ago, didn’t realize there was a boot camp just to go west hunting.

lick

Quote:

OH…I’M READY!! 67 yards to the stand (on flat land) and 15 tree steps up to be exact

I’m looking to gain 5 lbs before the season starts by sitting on the couch and drinking beer!!

thats my kinda ready game on

i actually have to walk uphill to a few of my stands

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Just wondering how accurate you guys can shoot 70 yards and over in the perrenial western winds?
    That seems a little unrealistic to me…The other thing to think about is that much of your arrows energy is gone at those extreme ranges…
    Good Luck and I hope you don’t really fling arrows at an Elk or Antelope at 70-100yds…Use your hunting/stalking skills to get under 40 yds

mpearson
    Chippewa Falls, WI

I think it’s good practice to shoot the longer distances like 70 yards or longer. Will I shoot that distance in the field…probably not, but it makes the 30 – 50 yard shot seem like a chip shot! It’s good discipline to get dialed in at longer distances so you are more confident at the closer ranges…but that’s my opinion!

I guess with the technology of the bows these days I don’t think a 70 yard shot (with right conditions) is out of the question. Again…my .02 worth!

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Quote:

I think it’s good practice to shoot the longer distances like 70 yards or longer. Will I shoot that distance in the field…probably not, but it makes the 30 – 50 yard shot seem like a chip shot! It’s good discipline to get dialed in at longer distances so you are more confident at the closer ranges…but that’s my opinion!

I guess with the technology of the bows these days I don’t think a 70 yard shot (with right conditions) is out of the question. Again…my .02 worth!

I guess, I agree with Mike here. I practice out to 60 and even 70 yards. I would probably never take a shot at an animal that long, but it is amazing how practicing at that range has tightened up my groups and increased my confidence @ 10, 20, 30, 40 & 50 yards. Distances that with the right conditions in the field, I’m very confident in shooting an animal at.

I also agree with today’s bows and technology a 70 yard shot for some people is not unrealistic. This shot is not for everyone to attempt on an animal, but some people can not only make this shot, but consistently harvest animals at that range under the right conditions. I have watched a few animals harvested at 70 yards and I have seen an animal missed at that range also. Heck, I have even seen a pretty famous female hunter harvest Deer and a Elk at 50-52 yards with only 53 lbs and I think she is up to 55 lbs this year of draw. I have past up some shots on some awfully big deer less then 25 yards because conditions were not right, but I have also taken shots at deer @ 40 plus yards because conditions were right. IMO today’s equipment can surely handle these long range shots. The only question is, can the Hunter?? That is up to each individual to figure out for themselves and I truly believe each shot is on a case by case basis.

I also agree with Tom that 70 yards is starting to push the threshold of an ethical shot on an animal as many things can happen in the air of an arrow traveling that distance. 80 to 100 yards for anyone is unethical in my opinion at this present time. However, with todays bows hitting 360fps which is 120 yards, even a 80 yard shot may not be out of the question here soon.

That is my $.02

DANPEARSON
    Central WI

A few years ago you would not catch me shooting past 30 yards. Purchased a new bow a couple of years ago and was amazed at how confident I am shooting out to 40 and 50 yards. As Mike and Rob said, it has to be under the right conditions before you ever release an arrow at an animal. I know if the right condition presented itself, I can make that shot out to 70 yards no problem. My goal would be to get the animal within 25 – 50 yards, but then again he has to present the perfect shot opportunity. You’ll be amazed at how tight your grouping is at 25 – 50 yards (even 60) when you shooting 70+ yards.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Other than a professional archer, who would have a 6″ group at 70 yards consitently ??? I know I can typically hold a 6″ pattern at 50 yards, consistently, meaning 3 out of 3, maybe 2 out of 3 times. I would hate to even try out to 100 yards… I think I would be ruining/loosing arrows trying to get dialed in. I would also think, with my bow at 65 lbs, I would be lobbing them…. Now picture making that kind of shot, on possibly uneven terrain, with updrafts, downdrafts, swirling winds, which are not uncommon out west in the hills, with all your gear on, after you have been walking/climbing for 2 days I feel, I will need to be proficient out to 40 yards, for my Elk hunt and I am that. Am I ready ??? Yep, but suspect I am fooling myself as I have not experienced it yet But man…. I am ready !!!

mpearson
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Quote:

Am I ready ??? Yep, but suspect I am fooling myself as I have not experienced it yet But man…. I am ready !!!

I’m with you Big G…bring it on already!

DANPEARSON
    Central WI

I hear ya big G. It’s really up to the individual and the confidence he/she has in their ability and equipment to make an ethical shot. If I am not comfortable taking a shot regardless of the range, or conditions in the field I am not going to take it. Believe me I am not going out there to just fling arrows.

I think the point we were trying to make is that practicing at further distances will make you a better shot and increase your confidence at a shorter range.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Right on Drelan I know after a few at 50 yards…. 30 is a chipshot Now I am thinking, I need to go out to 60 and then maybe 70

damman
    Pepin county Wi

I have been out west hunting elk and antelope for the past twenty years.(Colorado, Wyoming,Montana)The terain can very from one place to the next.Unless you carry a range nfinder in the open country, guestamating ranges can be difficult. What appears to be close can be alot further than you think.I practice shooting alot and never go beyond 50 yards. 70 – 100 yds would be a poke and hope in my book. The new bows have come a long way but the person behind them is the same.Conditions would have to be perfect to make a clean kill beyond 70 yds.If you are hunting in heavy timber a 30 yd shot is getting out there. Most of my time is spent on chasing whitetails in Wisconsin. I’ll practice at a range that I amconfident at and where I am going to be spending most of my time hunting.I will not take an unethecal shot out West just to try and fill a tag because I only have a limited time to be there. I ‘ve seen it happen where it comes down to the last day of the trip and some a#@$%&* will take a shot well out of his range and wound a nice animal( 7 by 7) elk to be exact and not find it.That target that does’nt move at 70-100 yds is way different than a live trophy out there that can turn at any moment.So to me shooting at that kind of ydg to me is just plain unethical,but just remember, these animals deserve to be put down KWIK and CLEAN.

lick

i wont practice at 70 yards just because that too far to walk to pull arrows

big_g
    Isle, MN

Quote:

i wont practice at 70 yards just because that too far to walk to pull arrows

… out of the grass…..

mpearson
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Quote:

I’ll practice at a range that I amconfident at and where I am going to be spending most of my time hunting.I will not take an unethecal shot out West just to try and fill a tag

I hear ya damman. We hunt at ranges we are confident at too..and shooting 70+ yards just makes those 20 – 40 yards shots a lot easier and builds our confidence. But “under the right conditions” a 60 – 70 yard shot would not be considered unethical IF you have been practicing at those distances and are confident in your equipment and your abilities. Everyone is different when it comes to there own abilities but it doesn’t make it unethical! Taking a shot at a 7 x 7 bull when it’s running or the wind is blowing would be considered unethical to me…or shooting at those distances without practicing them! Again…just my .02!

DANPEARSON
    Central WI

Everyone has a right to their opinions and I respect that. I don’t believe anyone here indicated that taking a 70 plus yard shot at an animal would be ethical…I certainly would not take that shot. Anyone who knows me or who has hunted with me knows that I pride myself on shot placement and quick, clean kills. Does not matter the game you chase, all animals deserve to be put down as quickly and humanly as possible.

I know that if the moment of truth presents itself, that I have done everything I could do prepare myself for that moment. I can’t wait to get out there!

mpearson
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Quote:

I can’t wait to get out there!

That makes two of us! Come on Sept. 17th!

les_welch

Quote:

Other than a professional archer, who would have a 6″ group at 70 yards consitently ??? I know I can typically hold a 6″ pattern at 50 yards, consistently, meaning 3 out of 3, maybe 2 out of 3 times. I would hate to even try out to 100 yards… I think I would be ruining/loosing arrows trying to get dialed in. I would also think, with my bow at 65 lbs, I would be lobbing them…. Now picture making that kind of shot, on possibly uneven terrain, with updrafts, downdrafts, swirling winds, which are not uncommon out west in the hills, with all your gear on, after you have been walking/climbing for 2 days I feel, I will need to be proficient out to 40 yards, for my Elk hunt and I am that. Am I ready ??? Yep, but suspect I am fooling myself as I have not experienced it yet But man…. I am ready !!!

How much time do you have on your hands, because I know many. Last night, the first night with my slick tricks, I was holding 3 arrow groups within 3″ of center every time. 70 yards. I am nothing special, most anyone on this site could do it, if they wanted to. BTW a professional archer would laugh at 6″ 70 yard groups.

I killed 3 antelope in ’07 with three arrows. 52, 53, and 56 yards. One was in a stiff crosswind, that animal went the farthest. She bled out from a grim reaper in 65 yards. It can be done, just depends on how bad you want it. One year I hunted North Dakota with one of the Mathews Pros, and watched him shoot a buck at 72 yards, pin wheel it ran 45 yards and piled, 90 seconds later I killed mine at 2 yards, it piled up less than 20 yards from his. That was pretty fun, 265 inches of velvet antler in a minute and a half.

There are also the guys with Borden rifles, shooting animals at 700-1000 yards, most people think that also is not possible. As long as one knows their limitations, whose to say where the limit is?

BTW, my range finder is as important to me as my bow is. I range every animal I shoot at, if given time. If it’s an uncertain distance and over 40 I won’t shoot if I can’t range it.

I started these threads to maybe motivate someone who is on the edge. Give someone the confidence who thought they couldn’t? To show what is achieveable, if one wants. For some it is a hobby, for some a passion, and for a few an obsession. I live and breathe hunting 24/7. Even when I’m cranking in 20# salmon on Lake Michigan, I’m thinking, scheming about the next hunting trip. My last four weekend nights (Fri and Sat’s) I have been up to the wee hours of the morning, tinkering with my pack, vaccum sealing my food. Weighing my items to the oz, to see if they make the cut, all the while listening/watching screaming bulls in the background. My wife can’t wait until Sept. 23, our projected return date. But you know what happens then..you got it, the “50 weeks left…how are you preparing thread” starts….or did you forget-the Obsession. Odds are what is right for you is wrong for me, and vice versa. Best of luck to all. WTA

robhood23

60/70/80/90/100 yards what’s the point. Why not just pick up a shotgun or muzzleloader. Kind of takes the fun out of being up close and personal with an animal. I hunt with a bow to get as close as possible to the animal, if I wanted to take 50 on up shots I would just gun hunt. We all hunt for different reasons and if shooting long shots at game is your deal then go for it!

mpearson
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Quote:

Kind of takes the fun out of being up close and personal with an animal. We all hunt for different reasons and if shooting long shots at game is your deal then go for it!

I’m not exactly sure what you were trying to say but the last part of your post sort of says it all. We all hunt for different reasons and use different pieces of equipment because that’s the way we like to hunt. Distance shouldn’t matter if you’re accurate and confident…whether it’s with a bow, gun or whatever.

“Why not just pick up a shotgun or muzzleloader. Kind of takes the fun out of being up close and personal with an animal.” I have to disagree with this…yes we all like to get up close and personal with game when hunting with a bow…but it doesn’t always work out that way. I have never chased elk with a bow before so I’m not exactly sure how close a person can get…with only 5 days to hunt you’re going to want to take your shot opportunity when you can/if you can. That’s why we practice long distances…just in case the right conditions allows such a shot. But naturally we’ll try to close the distance if we can.

Just because one person is uncomfortable shooting out past 30 – 40 yards doesn’t mean a guy who can is unethical and wrong. Just my .02!

corey_waller
    hastings mn

couldn’t agree more. for most people your effective range is about 75% to 80% of your practice range. practice at 30 and your effective range is about 25. practice at 25 and your good to 20. practice at 60+ and your going to be good in the 50’s provided everything else is right with the wind, and a stationary calm broadside animal. I have no problem shooting 40 to 50 yards in the right conditions, for one reason….. I practice for it. dont get me wrong if i have an elk coming in on a string and I can get a 15 or 20 yard shot I will wait for it. but if he stops at 40 and turns broadside puts his head down to eat all he needs to do is take that one fatal step to open up the vitals and….. he will get launched

my .02 practice how you want

neusch303

Quote:

60/70/80/90/100 yards what’s the point. Why not just pick up a shotgun or muzzleloader. Kind of takes the fun out of being up close and personal with an animal. I hunt with a bow to get as close as possible to the animal, if I wanted to take 50 on up shots I would just gun hunt. We all hunt for different reasons and if shooting long shots at game is your deal then go for it!

I guess you could say the same for rifle hunting. While I don’t view 500 and 600 yard shots as sporting for the animal I love being able to make that shot, cause I know it took skill and practice for me to be able to do it.

Out west we like to make it fun. You can shoot deer at 200 yards all day long. So, we have self imposed restrictions. No shots over 50 yards or under 300 yards. That way you can add some challenge to the hunt. Unless of course he’s a record breaking buck. Then it’s kill him when ever you can.

DANPEARSON
    Central WI

Robhood, I think you answered your first two questions with your last sentence.

les_welch

Quote:

I never said I shoot those extreme distances at game. To me shooting at 40 yards gets boring, and isn’t as challenging as I like. What does it hurt to step it up, and move back to 80, 90, 110, 120? As long as I know my limitations, and stay within in them, its game on. Go shoot 80 yards then step up to 40, its a walk in the park. Again, to each his own, good luck. WTA

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.