Elk calls ???

• big_g
    Isle, MN

What do you guys suggest a rookie get for a couple of Elk calls ? I have never done it and probably need to get working on them. Looking for cow and bull I guess…. any ideas for a new guy ??? Thanks !!!

lick

primos hoochie mama easy to use and sounds great

cant believe i just told G to get a hoochie mama

DANPEARSON
    Central WI

Big G, I am a rookie too. This fall will be my first trip chasing elk. I purchased the hoochie mama too, and it sounds great. If you can call turkeys with a mouth call, you’ll have no problems with elk calls either. I purchased the following Primos mouth calls and the are easy to use and sound great: Primos Sentry Plate, Hyper Plate, Imperial Plate and the Ivory Plate. You can use these calls too if you intend to do some bugling as well. Good luck!

les_welch

Quote:

What do you guys suggest a rookie get for a couple of Elk calls ? I have never done it and probably need to get working on them. Looking for cow and bull I guess…. any ideas for a new guy ??? Thanks !!!

If you are serious about learning elk hunting go to this website http://elknut.com/ and purchase the playbook you see on the front page. Get a chuckler tube, and a Mellow yellow to start with. I would highly suggest the 4 pack of DVD’s Bugling Bulls and Beyond. You will NOT regret it. You will NOT learn more, faster, any other way. The playbook is a must for any elk hunter, period. If you have ANY questions, give Paul a call. These guys are elk hunting machines.

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Quote:

Big G, I am a rookie too. This fall will be my first trip chasing elk. I purchased the hoochie mama too, and it sounds great. If you can call turkeys with a mouth call, you’ll have no problems with elk calls either. I purchased the following Primos mouth calls and the are easy to use and sound great: Primos Sentry Plate, Hyper Plate, Imperial Plate and the Ivory Plate. You can use these calls too if you intend to do some bugling as well. Good luck!

I agree with Drelan in that the mouth calls give you alot of flexibility, just like they do in turkey hunting. If you’re already comfortable with the diaphragm style calls, you’ve got a serious leg-up, as just getting used to them seems to be the biggest hang-up for most folks.

Quaker Boy has a good selection of elk diaphragms you should check out as well if you’ll be going with mouth calls. They’re pretty standard and don’t have as many of the doo-dads on them like some brands. For some people, the sonic dome, top plates, and other “accessories” on the mouth calls make things more difficult, not easier, esp. if they’re more used to a standard call.

IMO, with turkey call diaphragms, and it would follow with elk ones, those extra features limit the ranges of your tone, and the sensitivity in pressure needed to adjust volume along with it. Suffice to say, you don’t get the same range in volume AND/OR sound from a single call that you would in a standard version where the features of your mouth, jaw, tongue, and air pressure regulate the sound.

All in all, just like with turkey calls, use what you sound best with and have the most confidence in.

Joel

brandengifford
    Franklin TN.

I have good luck with the Hoochie Mama & Sceery.

tmski

I just can’t seem to get the hang of diaphragm calls so I have to go with the hoochie mama too……….

robhood23

I 2nd elknut! get the 4 videos and the playbook! Well worth it!

big_g
    Isle, MN

Thanks for all the replys guys. I picked up a PRIMOS Elk Hunters Master Pak It has a Hoochie Mama, a Super Pack Bugle call, a Top Pin mouth call and a bonus Sonic Dome mouth call. It came with a DVD too & Will really explains well how to use all the calls. And we all know, “Thats the Truth”

LadyLuck1
    Sparta WI

I think you will like the Hoochie Mama, It worked well for me. They also have the Baby Hoochie also. Good luck!!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.