Questions for the Elk guys

• swimingjig
    Waumandee, WI

I have been shooting 100 grain Slick Tricks and they are flying great. They are a 4 blade with a 1″ cutting diameter is this OK for elk? Also how far should a guy be ready to shoot?

brandengifford
    Franklin TN.

That should be fine. On my last bull I shot a 90 grain muzzy 4 blade. That bull was 25 yards away and only went on 150 yards and died. I had three different times on three different bulls, my furthest shot was 35 yards. I missed twice. Good luck and have fun. There’s nothing better than an archery bull tag.

les_welch

Quote:

I have been shooting 100 grain Slick Tricks and they are flying great. They are a 4 blade with a 1″ cutting diameter is this OK for elk? Also how far should a guy be ready to shoot?

Yes that will be fine. Any sharp head that flys good, will work fine, given you take the right shot. With the wrong shot, no head will work.

There is no magic number. Everyone is different. I will practice out to 100 yards this summer. I have no hesitation on taking a 60-70 yard shot, on the right animal. When I say right animal, I don’t mean size. Size can not make any difference in your shot selection. Right animal to me, means unalarmed, broadside, motionless animal. A ton can happen in the time it takes an arrow to fly 70 yards. Things have to be perfect. Practice at distance farther than you feel comfortable with, it will make your closer shots tighten up, and give you more confidence. If you can only shoot 20 yards, understand that, and work with it. There are no set in stone rules, so each person and situation will be different. Remember, in the west, it is generally harder to judge yardage, due to the different terrain, and especially due to the different animal sizes. An elk at 50 yards, looks really close! Best of luck. WTA

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Very well put WTA!

Remember your range finder as it is hard to judge distance with the topography and the different sized animal then what we are used to.

Good luck and have FUN!

swimingjig
    Waumandee, WI

Thanks guys. I have been practiceing with field points from 20 yards out to 70 yards ever since I got my new bow and then a couple weeks ago I started shooting fixed blade broadheads. What a pain. I tryed about everything on Thunderheads and the old style Muzzys with no luck. My cousin gave me some Slick Tricks to try and right out of the package they were great. Thanks again

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.