Minnow heads

• Bobby Kuennen

When you guys are using minnow heads ice fishing, do you stop and get live minnows then keep them alive or drain them and just use the dead ones? I was watching an IDO video the other day and james kept grabbing minnow heads out of his pocket. Or do you guys freeze and reuse? Curious what the best method is.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Could be any best method? Best method for me is I get a bucket of live minnows. Half fatheads and half shiners. Set the live shiner on a set line (dead stick) with slip bobber and then pinch the fatheads for the fresh presentation on the jigging spoon. Something about all those fresh juices doing their thing when dropped down the hole. Walleye picks up on the flash and then the still partly living minnow head…smack! Kinda gruesome though..eh!

AaronMoore

But why only the heads? I fish alot for trout in Colorado and use the whole minnow when allowed, never thought to use the head only

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

When you guys are using minnow heads ice fishing, do you stop and get live minnows then keep them alive or drain them and just use the dead ones? I was watching an IDO video the other day and james kept grabbing minnow heads out of his pocket. Or do you guys freeze and reuse? Curious what the best method is.

Yes, we keep live minnows and pinch the heads off as needed.
    When your going to be fishing a hole away from the minnow bucket you pinch off a 1/2 dozen heads or so, that way you’re not running back and forth or carrying the bucket.
    Good luck runnin n gunnin this season!

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

But why only the heads? I fish alot for trout in Colorado and use the whole minnow when allowed, never thought to use the head only

Not sure why, perhaps a local tradition but there must be more to it than just that. Typically always pinch the head off for jigging spoons. Actually it’s more than just the head, usually about the front half. Very effective!

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

If you just put the head on a jig, it doesn’t effect the jigs action as much.

bigstorm
    Southern WI

I have used the tail half of the minnow and down just as well when jigging.

404 ERROR
    MN

I always keep them alive and don’t pinch them off until I use them. If you will be hole hopping, put a couple dabs of water in a bait puck and put a few live ones in it. It doesn’t necessarily keep them alive, but it keeps them moist.

Hook, pinch, set, repeat!
    yay

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I use more full body minnows than heads, but either way, when hole hopping I put a few in a bait puck to walk around with.

Pat McSharry
    Keymaster
    Saint Michael, MN

It doesn’t affect the action of the spoon as much. Just adds scent and a little meat. The reason for the head vs the tail is because the head stays on much better. I’ve ran out of heads and used my leftover tails before and it works just as good, they just don’t stay on as well. I know some bodies of water such as Erie guys will use 3 full shiner minnows on each of the treble hooks on a jigging rap.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.