MinnKota Maxxum 74 steering question

• rkd-jim
    Fountain City, WI.

I’ve got a Maxxum 74 bowmount that the steering is loose as hell! I’ve tightened the tension bolt under the front where the cable enters the footpedal but that has done nothing. I did some more reading and that phillips- head screw is there to tighten any slack in the cables. Where do you tighten or add more resistance to the turning of the power head?? If I use it on constant the thing pretty much goes where it wants unless you spend all your time adjusting the direction. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!!

munchy
    NULL

It should be this screw.

If that is the screw you have been adjusting you may need to disassemble it and make sure nothing is broken.

Attachments:
    1. image-19.jpeg

rkd-jim
    Fountain City, WI.

That screw adjusts the tension on the steering cables only. I adjusted that screw to the max and all I got was a fiddle-string tight cable. I took the plate off the bottom of the foot pedal and checked everything in there. Just didn’t see anything that will control the tension on the power head rotation. I also took the cover off at the top of the motor where the arrow is and there was nothing up there to tension it. I thought there was something on the pivot of the foot pedal that should tighten it but there wasn’t.

steve-fellegy
    Resides on the North Shores of Mille Lacs--guiding on Farm Island these days

I’ve got a Maxxum 74 bowmount that the steering is loose as hell! I’ve tightened the tension bolt under the front where the cable enters the footpedal but that has done nothing. I did some more reading and that phillips- head screw is there to tighten any slack in the cables. Where do you tighten or add more resistance to the turning of the power head?? If I use it on constant the thing pretty much goes where it wants unless you spend all your time adjusting the direction. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!!

Ain’t gonna happen. It will never get tight to a point where it will hold a course without your foot on the pedal. That said, if you put a block of wood or the like under the pedal on either side or both, that will hold it in place/on course. If want instant steering, unlike an auto pilot/power drive of sorts, you have to live with the loose steering. Near as I know…unless I am misunderstanding your question?

steve-fellegy
    Resides on the North Shores of Mille Lacs--guiding on Farm Island these days

http://www.trollperfect.com

Interesting….I stand corrected. I live in the dark ages but might have to try this gizmo…but tough to teach an old dog new tricks.

Thanks for the link.

rkd-jim
    Fountain City, WI.

I too say thank you for that link!!!

puddlepounder
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

Steve was WRONG on this one. I have had a “trollperfect” for about the last 5 or 6 years. They work great if not better. If they are still available, order one and you will not be disappointed. I have a maxxum 101 with a 60″ shaft

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.