Minnetonka Night Boat Landing

• Mos’

I have seen this topic covered in terms of how busy and congested the Tonka accesses can get but this time of year I imagine it is quite a bit slower out there. I am planning on fishing the evening bite and was wondering if there were better lit accesses then others in terms of landing the boat in the dark? Coming from out of town so at this time I don’t know if one end of the lake is better then the other. Thanks!

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Gray’s Bay landing on the East side of the lake is good. 3 rivers on the west side is nice too, but I think that closes at 10 pm since it’s in the park.

pool2fool
    Inactive
    St. Paul, MN

Gray’s Bay landing on the East side of the lake is good. 3 rivers on the west side is nice too, but I think that closes at 10 pm since it’s in the park.

I think you can exit as late as you like. Memory is shady, but I think the gate automatically opens for cars exiting. You just can’t enter after 10pm.

Mos’

Perfect appreciate the info! Are the 2 side of the lake pretty comparable this time of year fishing structure wise? More boats tend to go out of one side or the other?

Also wonder what the worst case scenario is if that gate at 3 rivers does not open?? Camping there for the night? Ha

pool2fool
    Inactive
    St. Paul, MN

I’m no help with the spots unfortunately. You could call Three Rivers Park district and just ask about the exit gate. Good luck! Would be great to get a report if you make it out, not much is shared here about Tonka.

Dan Baker

Depending on when you plan on going out, you might run into issues with docks being pulled. The North Arm access has a seawall rather than docks so it is usable throughout the open water season. It is well lit also.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Perfect appreciate the info! Are the 2 side of the lake pretty comparable this time of year fishing structure wise? More boats tend to go out of one side or the other?

Also wonder what the worst case scenario is if that gate at 3 rivers does not open?? Camping there for the night? Ha

I don’t launch from the 3 rivers location often but I have read that the gate will close at 10pm but will open to those exiting the park. I would call to make sure though. Both Maxwell Bay and North arm have lights at night too if memory serves. As far as fishing pressure on the lake, you are right to assume it will be less busy with the pleasure cruisers gone. As far as fishing pressure from east to west typically the east side of the lake is busier but that is due to the fact that most of the fisherman are coming from east of the lake. As for whether the fish are on that side or not whistling

hossfisher

The Three River Park gate will open after 10pm to let you out. I’ve used it during ice fishing after hours to get off the lake and never had an issue. However, Three River Park police will patrol that regularly and I’m not sure if it’s a violation to be in the park after hours. Keep in mind that County Rd. 44 is closed still so if coming from the north, it’s a 10-15 minute detour to get to the access. Mound beach is a well-lit access on a weekday when you can park at the access, but otherwise you can be a ways down on the road. Also, the dock is roughly 15ft off the ramp so depending on how windy it is, it can be a real treat.

+1 for Grays Bay on the East Side.

Mos’

Sounds good thanks again for the replies! Had no idea about CO 44 being closed. I will be coming from the north so may try that north arm access. Will be going this weekend so hopefully the docks are still in. They did start pulling them up here in the northern part of the state I guess

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

north arm is a nice access but they don’t have any docks and the ramp is slightly steep. I would check out maxwell’s which is right down the road. They have a dock and lots of parking. that’s the access I always use if im not using one of the small neighborhood ones

Mos’

Alright I will try Maxwell’s with the dock make things easier solo. I plan on pulling cranks but in case I grab some bait is there a bait store near there or on the way? I will be coming from the NE

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Dh tackle is right off 15 and 19. Haven’t been there in awhile, they had bait last ttime in.

keepcasting
    Excelsior

DH is a good option for bait. For night fishing I would stick with Gray’s Bay, Maxwell, and Spring Park. Those are all well lit and typically the docks are still in until around the 1st week of November. Between those 3 I would launch closest to wherever you intend to fish for the night. The less you have to run around the lake in the cold/dark the better IMO. Buoys are all still in as well, but those will disappear too in about 2-3 more weeks.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Depending on how far away in the ne. Stop at vados. Or check if wayzata bait and tackle is open, or dh isn’t that far out of the way.

Mos’

Thanks for the suggestions – Grey’s Bay landing was easy and well lit. Gave it heck until 10pm with only a couple crappie to show for it. Plenty of structure to learn out there wow!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.