Minnetonka bass advice needed

• tim hurley

Going to ‘Tonka in the next few days to fish for some greenies. I know they are all over the lake but we would like to avoid fishing mifoil edges in 25 fow. I know their are still some good cabbage beds out there, that would be better. Not looking for someones honey hole, just some general advice or a bay to check out. Feeler to PM me, thanks

keepcasting
    Excelsior

Not sure how well you know the lake, but there is a major difference in water clarity depending on the part of the lake you fish and that is especially true right now in the heat of the summer. In the clear basins (lower lake, Crystal Bay, etc) the weed line is really deep (like 20-25’deep) and those edges are the starting point. I have found some fish much shallower in the greener water, plus the weed edge is shallower in the greener bays so if they are on the edge you are fishing 14-17′ deep vs. 22-25′ deep. The cabbage is pretty choked out by the milfoil right now.

tim hurley

Last question about cabbage: do you find it on rocky bottom? And in the fall does the milfoil die out a bit leaving the cabbage? (guess that was 2 questions) Thanks

matt

Want to find cabbage on Tonka?Pick a calm day and put on your polarized glasses then put the boat in gear and idle around the shorelines of the clear water bays and mainlake.Spend some time doing this and you will eventually find what your looking for.

keepcasting
    Excelsior

Matt advice is right on, I’ve found some nice cabbage and random hard bottom spots while just slow cruising with the family and then dropped a waypoint. The cabbage is associated with hard bottoms which is more sand than rock on Tonka and yes the milfoil does die back in the fall making it a lot easier to fish through the weeds that are left.

tim hurley

Thanks! Keep the ideas coming, will probably go out Sunday-does it seem like cabbage grows on points more? Maybe a mix of sand and rock? Don’t think I have seen it on pure sand. Last questions about cabbage!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.