Minn Kota Vantage options

• Gilgetter

I just purchased a 2020 Alumacraft 165 Competitor. My main motor is a 7Ohp Suzuki. I have a bow mount trolling motor but want a transom troller too. My plan was to put a 24v vantage on the back but I’m having second thoughts now.
    It seems a fair amount of people have significant issues with these motors. It seems Minn Kota is a reputable enough brand. Does anybody know if they have done anything to update these motors or are they still prone to problems? Are there any other similar options?
    Thanks for any input.

Red Eye

I bought a used one few ago for my 2013 1825 pro guide off CL. Love it. Haven’t had any issues. I think when they first came out there were bugs. Just like anything new. Seem to be worked out

Ripjiggen

I had one about 4 years ago for about 5 years on my larger tiller. Never an issue with mine. Not sure it’s worth it on your rig but that’s up to you and how you fish. I would not hesitate to buy another if I were going back to a large tiller again.

cass

Excellent motor I have been running mine since 2011. The first few years they came out they had too small of a motor for up and down. Some people called them disadvantages. They did a recall and put in a bigger electric motor in.

Gilgetter

From what I’m hearing from you guys it seems it might have been issues with a new design that has been worked out over time. Thanks for the input. Gives me a little more confidence to spend the $1500.00

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

My parents have one on their warrior 2090 tiller. However, I’ve never even seen them use it because it eats up way too much battery power in the water they often fish. Which makes me even wonder why they have it.

Gilgetter

Interesting information on the battery consumption. I had never heard that before.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Interesting information on the battery consumption. I had never heard that before.

I’m sure that the size/weight of the boat they use is playing a role. They pretty much only fish big water and quite often when its rough out, so trying to back troll with that puny little stern mount electric thing is pretty worthless.

Kris Berg

Find a Minn Kota Vector 3x. It has 3x steering just as the Vantage does but, no electric deploy and stow to fail you. You have to manually deploy and stow. I wanted a Vantage but was always hearing stories of nothing but problems with them. I bought a Vector 24v 80lb thrust and have been back trolling problem free ever since.

Gilgetter

Find a Minn Kota Vector 3x. It has 3x steering just as the Vantage does but, no electric deploy and stow to fail you. You have to manually deploy and stow.

Are they discontinued? I can’t find much info on them.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

I have a wavewacker for a vantage id be willing to part with. It was on a 1775 ProV.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

Put a 36 volt Vantage on my new 1875 ProGuide this spring. No problems. Sick amount of power. Incredible boat control. A friend has had a 24 volt Vantage for about 20 years. Only one issue.

Gilgetter

I’d be interested if it would fit. I don’t know how much they vary between boats
    What kind of cash would you want for it?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.