Minn kota vantage install

• Josh Hugel

Hey guys,

I bought this boat last summer (2012 triton allure 192) and I’m looking at possibly getting into some walleye tournaments. I see a lot of people running vantage transom mount trolling motors for back trolling. Attached are some pictures of my transom… it seems impossible to mount with the trim tabs where they are, can anyone give me some info on a situation like this? I know of the panther static mount but even with that it doesn’t seem possible

Attachments:
    1. 644764CD-D85B-4B63-BC50-EC447A78C283.jpeg

2. 78DAF0D3-61BF-4632-8061-DF41EB326413.jpeg

Josh Hugel

It’s 9” from transom to end of trim tab.. so this is a possible solution, thanks! It says to remove motor when travelling which would get quite tedious after awhile but beggars can’t be choosers.

Ripjiggen

When you are seeing other tourney guys running them are they running them on tillers. I don’t see many on windshield boats with them. Kicker motor far more common. I think you will have issues getting the actual head unit high enough with out hitting the trim tab or dragging to much when driving. Not hundred percent confident in the triton layout but if you push the vantage back further you will be using your big motor as a seat to reach the handle.
    Had one on my 18ft glass tiller boat loved it. Have a windshield boat now and I would not want one.
    Just one mans opinion.

Josh Hugel

Did you just stop back trolling all together? I’ve actually seen quite a few full windshield boats with vantages, but mainly on aluminum boats.

Ripjiggen

I did for the most part and my walleye catching hasn’t declined that I can tell. The other tournament friends I fish with have not either. Could use my kicker if I really had to. Couple of days I miss my tiller but then I make a run across a big lake and it seams to go away quickly. lol
    Look at pictures from the NWT best walleye tournament fisherman their are. I don’t think a single one runs a vantage on a windshield boat. All kickers. Big tiller guys they do mainly to slow down there big motor when back trolling. I don’t know your specific fishing needs.
    just my opinion.

Josh Hugel

Ya I think that style of fishing is tailored to big lake fishing for walleyes on the Great Lakes.. I’m usually fishing walleye between 12-30’ on smaller bodies of water where covering big areas isn’t as important

Ripjiggen

Sure why not use your bow mount for that I guess. My ranger tracks much better going forward than back.
    Either way I think those trim taps are going to be in the way but maybe there is an option to get it further out.

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

I wouldn’t worry about a Vantage. I owned tillers and loved fishing with my Vantage, but I’ve adapted to using the bowmount on my windshield boat. Off the top of my head, I can think of 3 fantastic anglers that rigged Vantages on their windshield boats and have since taken them off because they didn’t need it.

I understand if you want one, but I don’t see a good way to accomplish it with those trim tabs.

Josh Hugel

HRG, do you have any idea why the mount to the boat is poly board and not just a stainless bracket?

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

The poly board is for the kicker/vantage, the stainless brackets mount to the hull.

Kind of like shown below (closest example I could find).

HRG

Attachments:
    1. kicker-bracket-mount.jpg

Josh Hugel

Ahhh I see. So why the poly board for the vantage?

Ripjiggen

Less slippage than metal on metal.

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

Ahhh I see. So why the poly board for the vantage?

They used to be wood, but that would deteriorate over time.

HRG

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.